Old 06-05-2006, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Colin Spooner

Default Kerria Japonica Pruning

I have a Kerria Japonica (Jews Mallow), which is growing well but the first
4 feet of stem is bare - it only has 3 stems.
I understand the flowering stems should be reduced in length in June,but I
want to encourage more branching from lower down to produce a bushier plant.
If I cut the 3 stems back to about one foot above ground,will new growth
appear?
Many Thanks
Colin

Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Spooner
I have a Kerria Japonica (Jews Mallow), which is growing well but the first
4 feet of stem is bare - it only has 3 stems.
I understand the flowering stems should be reduced in length in June,but I
want to encourage more branching from lower down to produce a bushier plant.
If I cut the 3 stems back to about one foot above ground,will new growth
appear?
Many Thanks
Colin
Hi Colin, in my experience the Kerria is a suckering shrub with naturally bare lower stems. The only way you will obtain lower foliage is on the young stems before they gain height. It should send up many new shoots as it matures. My method of pruning is to remove a couple of the oldest stems every two years. You can certainly top the growths at the height required and that will induce new growths from the roots - if it is newly planted give it a couple of years to settle in. You can always plant something of a suitable height in the front to help hide the stems if you don't find them attractive; I like the clean green of the Kerria stems. As a suckering shrub sending out growths directly from the roots you can cut an established plant to the ground and it will regrow.

Kerria Japonica - bad year? Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 10-10-2003 12:02 PM
kerria japonica hayley United Kingdom 3 10-06-2003 09:20 PM
PJM - Kerria Fix Trish K. Gardening 0 19-03-2003 06:20 PM
serissa japonica Dmitry Akselrod Bonsai 2 10-03-2003 03:44 PM
C. japonica with eggs! Victor M. Martinez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 17-02-2003 09:21 PM