Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 PM
hayley

Default kerria japonica

I've one of these in my (heavy clay) garden - it has pom pom type yellow
flowers about an inch across. It is going mad - sending roots and stalks out
everywhere but I've never heard it described as a problem - is it just me?
And what should I do? I'd rather not dig it all up as it blocks out the
neighbours conservatory which would otherwise overlook us but do not want it
to take over the whole border - is there any kind of weed killer that will
just kill bits of it without killing the whole plant? The suckers seem to go
as deep as I can dig
Hayley

Old 10-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Emrys Davies

'hayley',

I agree, it can get somewhat rampant. Just try and restrict it with the
use of a spade, if you can. The suckers are not very deep and you
should be able to keep it in bounds by the prudent pruning of its roots.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Rod

"hayley" wrote in message ...
I've one of these in my (heavy clay) garden - it has pom pom type yellow
flowers about an inch across. It is going mad - sending roots and stalks out
everywhere but I've never heard it described as a problem - is it just me?
And what should I do? I'd rather not dig it all up as it blocks out the
neighbours conservatory which would otherwise overlook us but do not want it
to take over the whole border - is there any kind of weed killer that will
just kill bits of it without killing the whole plant? The suckers seem to go
as deep as I can dig
Hayley

Just hack it away where you don't want it. The wanted bits can be kept more orderly if you prune it rather like cane
fruit - ie after flowering remove the flowered 'canes' and tie in the new ones against your wall or fence.

Rod

Old 10-06-2003, 09:20 PM
bnd777

Just replant it in a large deep and bottomless pot sunk into the ground that
works fine
use an old plastic planter from the garden thats not fit to be seen
otherwise
"Rod" wrote in message

"hayley" wrote in message

[...]

Kerria Japonica Pruning Colin Spooner United Kingdom 1 07-05-2006 12:35 PM
Kerria Japonica - bad year? Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 10-10-2003 12:02 PM
PJM - Kerria Fix Trish K. Gardening 0 19-03-2003 06:20 PM
serissa japonica Dmitry Akselrod Bonsai 2 10-03-2003 03:44 PM
C. japonica with eggs! Victor M. Martinez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 17-02-2003 09:21 PM