Old 05-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default hayter mowers

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

are petrol ones a good choice for us - lawn is reasonably level but a bit
bumpy, it is often damp, we cut it about once a week or so and are not after
a bowling green but we do have a lot of edges.

I can't think of much else - unless you can get a good electric one with
an accumulator.

are hayter as good as we'd been told?

Well, they used to be very reliable.

is aluminium worth paying extra for?

That depends on how long you expect it to last, but IMO, yes.

does getting a self propelled one make life hugely easier? (hubby will do
the bulk of the mowing and is quite "hefty"). we are also not sure that we
could afford self propelled.

Immeasurably easier. However, a 'push'n'pull one is good exercise...

and what is the difference between the hawk and the harrier?

No idea. Much too modern for me. Mine's probably twenty years old.

and are online suppliers any good?

Surely you don't have to ask that? It's rather like asking if lawnmowers
are any good.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-11-2005, 09:26 PM
H Ryder

We are looking for a petrol mower (we think) for our lawn - the garden is
supposedly just under 1/4 acre and contains beds as well as lawns. We think
that we want a roller as this apparently will make it possible to avoid
having to strim the (many) edges. We also think that we want aluminium as we
are not brilliant at cleaning things. At the moment we seem to have got it
down to either a Hayter Hawk at about £300 or a Hayter Harrier 41 at about
£360 (both these are online prices). However we are not sure what the
difference is? Could anyone give us any advice please? We'd like to know:

are petrol ones a good choice for us - lawn is reasonably level but a bit
bumpy, it is often damp, we cut it about once a week or so and are not after
a bowling green but we do have a lot of edges.

are hayter as good as we'd been told?

is aluminium worth paying extra for?

does getting a self propelled one make life hugely easier? (hubby will do
the bulk of the mowing and is quite "hefty"). we are also not sure that we
could afford self propelled.

and what is the difference between the hawk and the harrier?

and are online suppliers any good?

thanks in advance,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Bob Hobden

"H Ryder" wrote
[...]

We have a Hayter 41 Electric mower that we inherited from my Mum a good many
years ago, still as good as new, excellent machines and parts are available
from any good Mower shop if they are needed. You won't go wrong with a
Hayter.
Personally I would always go for a petrol tool over electric as I can then
use them where there is no electricity like on the allotments, and anyway,
I don't then have a long cord to worry about. Again, personal choice.
The Hayter 41 (cm) also comes as 48cm and 56 cm widths, they all come in
push, variable speed autodrive (vsa), and vsa with electric start, so you
pays your money and makes your choice.
http://www.hayter.co.uk/pages/consum...harriers.mhtml
Personally the ordinary "push" would do you by the sound of it as the self
propelled can be difficult to manoeuvre in tight corners.

Can't find the Hawk on the Hayter site so can't tell you the difference.

For a supplier I would suggest looking in your local Yellow Pages for a
Garden Equipment supplier and go visit, you will then see, feel and
understand the differences between the mowers and get expert advice. For a
couple of pounds more you get real service if my experience is anything to
go by.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 06-11-2005, 09:44 AM
pied piper

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

are hayter as good as we'd been told?

yes..we have an ancient one which still works well, I only retired it
becaue it doesn't have a grass collector.

is aluminium worth paying extra for?

yes. I bought that machine in 1984, second-hand ex-hire, and used it
on rough ground to turn a field into lawn. It's indestructible :-) (but
hasn't got a grass collector)

does getting a self propelled one make life hugely easier?

Not IME. I thought it would be, but it aint. Our current mower is
self propelled , non variable speed (at that price, I don't think the
Hayters will be variable), and I'm actually walking more slowly behind
it than when I'm pushing the old petrol Hayter along. Self-propelled is
also trickier in awkward corners.

As for buying online..can you get it serviced there? :-) I would
always advocate buying from a local mower-dealer (not a garden centre or
shed). While he may charge slightly more, he'll offer advice, will
usually demonstrate the machine working , and provide after sales
service, spares and maintenance throughout the life of the machine.

Janet.

Hayters are fine as are mountfields wouldnt bother with self propelles as
the aluminium models are light to push buying on line is fine and the mower
is easy to service yourself change the plug and oil once a year.
A dealer will be rubbing his hands together at the prospect of charging you
£100 per year for a service.
Hope this helps good luck.
PS you can get your mower serviced at any shop even if you didnt buy it from
there.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:47 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 H Ryder wrote:

are hayter as good as we'd been told?

I bought an electric one about a couple of years ago and am well
satisfied with its performance. Mind you, I was comparing it with my
previous one, a Flymo 400!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 06-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Road_Hog®

"H Ryder" wrote in message
We are looking for a petrol mower (we think) for our lawn - the garden is
supposedly just under 1/4 acre and contains beds as well as lawns. We
think
that we want a roller as this apparently will make it possible to avoid
having to strim the (many) edges.

A roller mower does make it easier on the edges. It does give a better
finish, as it is produced solely for the UK market and they also cut lower
than the four wheel models. However they are more expensive and you don't
get the benefit if you have a "garden" instead of a "lawn"

We also think that we want aluminium as we
are not brilliant at cleaning things.

The polymer (plastic) decked machines are just as reliable as alloy, pressed
steel (tin decks) is the cheaper material and is usually used on budget
machines. Nothing wrong with it but it does not last as long as other
materials and when you start to get into the Retail £400+ market it should
alloy or ploymer.

At the moment we seem to have got it
down to either a Hayter Hawk at about £300 or a Hayter Harrier 41 at about
£360 (both these are online prices). However we are not sure what the
difference is? Could anyone give us any advice please? We'd like to know:

Harrier is part of the main range, Hawk is a special budget priced machine.
I can't remember the exact spec of the machine, but the sort of differences
from the Harrier is it has a lower grade engine etc.

are petrol ones a good choice for us - lawn is reasonably level but a bit
bumpy, it is often damp, we cut it about once a week or so and are not
after
a bowling green but we do have a lot of edges.

For the size of garden you have, you definitely need a petrol machine.

are hayter as good as we'd been told?

Yes, Hayter are one of the two top brands in the UK market with mowers
specifically made for British lawns.

is aluminium worth paying extra for?

As stated earlier, alloy (aluminium) or polymer have decks have a longer
life, but you do pay a premium for that.

does getting a self propelled one make life hugely easier? (hubby will do
the bulk of the mowing and is quite "hefty"). we are also not sure that we
could afford self propelled.

Self propelled takes the hard work out of it. It comes down to affordability
Vs convenience.

and what is the difference between the hawk and the harrier?

Answered above.

and are online suppliers any good?

Most of the independant garden machinery dealers have online websites, as
Janet pointed out, best to go and buy from your local dealer. This is the
best time of year to buy if purchasing on price. Look in your Yellow Pages
under lawnmowers. To be honest if you print off the Internet price, they may
match it and even if they don't, they will get close, plus you'll get the
machine built up tested and shown how to use it. That has to be worth a few
quid more and if you have a problem you'll know where to go.

To the poster that suggested that Mountfields are good, I can only say tha
you haven't looked at one lately. They no longer exist as a comapany, only
the brand exists which was sold off to a major European conglomerate a
couple of years ago, they are all made in the Italian & Swedish factories.

The Hawk doesn't appear on the website because Hayter do not push their
budget roller model. It is also being replaced by a new model called Spirit.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:02 PM
pied piper

To the poster that suggested that Mountfields are good, I can only say tha
you haven't looked at one lately. They no longer exist as a comapany, only
the brand exists which was sold off to a major European conglomerate a
couple of years ago, they are all made in the Italian & Swedish factories.

I was referring to the mountfield as my 12 year old mountfield is still in
good working order and you can still buy good second hand mountfields.