Old 09-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Therefore

Default Plum query

Hello again; I have a gage in my garden that flowers prolifically but does
not bear fruit. There are no other trees in the area , as here in Cornwall
people find them difficult, or so I am told. Question ,would the Sloe or May
blossom cross pollinate. Leslie

Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Therefore
writes
Hello again; I have a gage in my garden that flowers prolifically but does
not bear fruit. There are no other trees in the area , as here in Cornwall
people find them difficult, or so I am told. Question ,would the Sloe or May
blossom cross pollinate. Leslie

The sloe might just manage to help pollination possibly giving you some
crosses, because it is another species of prunus, but May is in a
different genus [branch] of the general rose family [roseaceae], so it
would be unlikely to work. Or you could try self-pollination from flower
to flower on the same tree. Give it a try, there's nothing to lose.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:35:36 +0100, "Therefore"
wrote:

I have a gage in my garden that flowers prolifically but does
not bear fruit.

I have a similar problem with a cherry plum, grown from seed. It
flowered a bit last year and this year has been covered in blossom but
no sign of any fruit setting. There are sloes in a hedge about 50
yards away. Any suggestions? I told it that it had to fruit this
year or else.........................

Pam in Bristol
pamdotmooreatvirgindotnet
Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

I have a gage in my garden that flowers prolifically but does
not bear fruit.

I have a similar problem with a cherry plum, grown from seed. It
flowered a bit last year and this year has been covered in blossom but
no sign of any fruit setting. There are sloes in a hedge about 50
yards away. Any suggestions? I told it that it had to fruit this
year or else.........................

Well, P. domestica, P. spinosus and P. cerasifera all have different
chromosome numbers, which can cause trouble with pollination. I don't
have any suggestions about your cherry plum (except another one), but
a bullace or damson should pollinate a gage even is a sloe doesn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Rod

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...
wrote:

I have a gage in my garden that flowers prolifically but does
not bear fruit.

I have a similar problem with a cherry plum, grown from seed. It
flowered a bit last year and this year has been covered in blossom but
no sign of any fruit setting. There are sloes in a hedge about 50
yards away. Any suggestions? I told it that it had to fruit this
year or else.........................

Well, P. domestica, P. spinosus and P. cerasifera all have different
chromosome numbers, which can cause trouble with pollination. I don't
have any suggestions about your cherry plum (except another one), but
a bullace or damson should pollinate a gage even is a sloe doesn't.

Another factor could be the age of the plant if it's a seedling it might just need a few more years to settle into
fruiting.

Rod

Old 10-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Alan Holmes

"Therefore" wrote in message
Hello again; I have a gage in my garden that flowers prolifically but

does
not bear fruit. There are no other trees in the area , as here in Cornwall
people find them difficult, or so I am told. Question ,would the Sloe or

May
blossom cross pollinate. Leslie

My plum has been covered in flowersfor the past week but there have been no
sign of any bees!

Alan

Plum wine query john smith United Kingdom 14 04-08-2011 06:14 PM
another phal query rick Orchids 1 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
B & D lubrication query Flynn United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 05:44 PM
Phytatray query rick Orchids 0 25-01-2003 05:34 PM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 05:29 PM