Old 08-05-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Peter Clinch

Default Alternative to dubbin for waterproofing boots? [OT]

michael adams wrote:

You've never suffered a broken rail by the sounds of things then.

None of my 3 Brooks have ever suffered such a thing.

Ever since the 30's to judge from their old catalogues, Brooks have
always gone in for more bullsh*t than other makes like the French
Ideale, who were just as prestigious and used to be sold through
Ron Kitching. Or in the UK Lycett or Wright, not quite as prestigious
but just as serviceable and now all equally defunct. As would Brooks
be by now, if they hadn't been taken on as a fashion accessory
by the Italian Selle Royale.

The only real reason they would have gone out of business would be
because of the very dodgy goings-on at Sturmey Archer when that
disappeared in what looked remarkably like an asset stripping job. It
was because the Brooks operation was a viable business in itself that it
was almost instantly sold on as a going concern.

But we digress. Dubbin has been widely deprecated for use as boot
waterproofing because it's been reckoned to be rather second best for
some time now (like a good 20 years) compared to alternatives.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
michael adams

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

But we digress. Dubbin has been widely deprecated for use as boot
waterproofing because it's been reckoned to be rather second best for
some time now (like a good 20 years) compared to alternatives.

I'll save you the trouble.

Isn't

Is

Isn't

Is

Isn't

It is

It isn't

Sorry I meant it isn't

It is....

michael adams

Pete.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Biggles

What about the Spray on stuff from Grangers? Anybody had any luck?

I tried it but seemed to make things worse not better.

Biggles

"Bill" wrote in message
It's wet weather again!

Normally I use dubbin to waterproof my leather boots. But dubbin leaves
a sticky gunky layer and it takes days to be fully absorbed.

Are there any modern, nicer-to-use compounds than dubbin which I can put
on boot leather that will PROPERLY waterproof them?

The boots are for general/leisure use.

Thanks.
Bill

PS - I don't mean anything like a Scotchguard Protector spray because
that seems to provide only a low level of waterproofing.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
bof

In message , Bill
writes
Are there any modern, nicer-to-use compounds than dubbin which I can put
on boot leather that will PROPERLY waterproof them?

The FIL swears by chicken fat, not tried it myself as I don't relish the
thought of being followed by a posse of cats and dogs.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old 09-05-2006, 12:44 AM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Geoff Berrow

contained the following:

Carr and Day's Dales Dubbin is 45p a tin in Wilkinsons.

Good stuff. No smell either.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:18 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Bernie Hughes

Sno-Seal is the most effective waterproofing I've ever found - better
and cheaper than Nikwax. The trick is to use a hairdrier to blow hot
air into the boot after applying the Sno-seal. That way there's no mess
left, and it gets properly absorbed.

Bernie

Old 11-05-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Rob Devereux

"bof" wrote in message
In message , Bill
writes
The FIL swears by chicken fat, not tried it myself as I don't relish the
thought of being followed by a posse of cats and dogs.

....but of course in some areas that might help in so far as the mossies and
midges will go for the animals and not for you!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.walking,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
John B

In article , "Rob Devereux" wrote:

"bof" wrote in message
In message , Bill
writes
The FIL swears by chicken fat, not tried it myself as I don't relish the
thought of being followed by a posse of cats and dogs.

....but of course in some areas that might help in so far as the mossies and
midges will go for the animals and not for you!

May I suggest RENAPUR. I've been using it for years on my motorcycle gear -
pretty good and smells good enough to eat!