Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

Default Elder Tree Problem

Yet another query from a gardening newbie.

I've just dug out a heap of soil and assorted debris (quite possibly decent
compost which i've sifted roughly and spread) from the corner of my newly
inherited garden. The problem is that in order to level it i've had to
expose a fair amount of the roots of an elder tree which was buried in it
about 3 feet above ground level and has been rooting in it for years.

The tree, which hasn't been pruned or cared for for about 10 years i'd
guess, is looking a bit patchy but has enough life left in it to warrant
some TLC and is about 12 feet tall. My question is what should be done about
the substantial amount of roots that are now exposed? Should I leave them,
prune them or find a way of covering them over again?

The tree hasn't been pruned for years either. Advice please?

xiv

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"louisxiv" writes:

| The tree, which hasn't been pruned or cared for for about 10 years i'd
| guess, is looking a bit patchy but has enough life left in it to warrant
| some TLC and is about 12 feet tall. My question is what should be done about
| the substantial amount of roots that are now exposed? Should I leave them,
| prune them or find a way of covering them over again?
|
| The tree hasn't been pruned for years either. Advice please?

Elder self-seeds readily, grows very fast and is a tough as old boots.
In fertile ground, it is often short-lived, but can live quite a long
time. It is a very good tree to experiment on - if you did damage it
beyond repair and want to replace it, a new one won't take long to
grow to a good size.

I would prune it to shape (as hard as you like) and to remove roots
that get in the way, and otherwise not worry. Don't prune it annually,
or you will get no flowers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

louisxiv wrote:
Yet another query from a gardening newbie.

I've just dug out a heap of soil and assorted debris (quite possibly decent
compost which i've sifted roughly and spread) from the corner of my newly
inherited garden. The problem is that in order to level it i've had to
expose a fair amount of the roots of an elder tree which was buried in it
about 3 feet above ground level and has been rooting in it for years.

The tree, which hasn't been pruned or cared for for about 10 years i'd
guess, is looking a bit patchy but has enough life left in it to warrant
some TLC and is about 12 feet tall. My question is what should be done about
the substantial amount of roots that are now exposed? Should I leave them,
prune them or find a way of covering them over again?

The tree hasn't been pruned for years either. Advice please?

We have loads of self-seeded elder here -- probably twenty trees or
thereabouts. I keep finding more I exposed part of the roots of one
last year when I was levelling out some ground and it doesn't seem to
have done any obvious harm. I guess it depends how much root is left
below the new ground level.

I've been wondering about pruning myself, as I want the flowers and
berries, but they'd be much easier to harvest if they weren't 5m off
the ground. A recent GW show (I think) had a clip about someone who
farms elder for making elderflower cordial, IIRC. He said he'd tried
all sorts of methods of pruning, but in the end just took the entire
tree down to about 30-50cm above ground level, let it come back from
there and then pruned to keep it under control size-wise.

I didn't have time last winter to actually attempt pruning any, but
I'll try on one or two this coming winter to see what happens.

James

Elder Tree: Pollarded or Butchered? Jungle Jake United Kingdom 15 23-05-2012 06:21 PM
Getting rid of ground elder Cat United Kingdom 130 30-10-2003 08:02 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Top Tip concerning Elder Twigs Colin Davidson United Kingdom 3 23-05-2003 12:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM