Old 09-05-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Taverner

Default whats this weed?

growing rapidly amongst euphorbia fireglow....

?thistle
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

TIA

JT

Old 09-05-2006, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

John Taverner wrote:
growing rapidly amongst euphorbia fireglow....
?thistle
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Yep. I keep mine when they settle not too near other plants naturally
)

Old 09-05-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Is it a teasel?

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 09-05-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Scott

On Tue, 09 May 2006 15:09:02 GMT, John Taverner wrote:

growing rapidly amongst euphorbia fireglow....

?thistle
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

TIA

JT

Looks like a well fed Dock!
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Old 09-05-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

Sue wrote:
Is it a teasel?

Looks like a teasel to me. They get very big and make a fine
architectural plant in the right place. Somewhat spiky and good for
autumnal cut flower arrangers. Prolific seeders beware.

I'd grub that one out ASAP (careful with the irritant euphorbia sap)

Chances are it is tough as old boots if you want to move it. They self
seed rather well if given half a chance - wild bird like the prolific
seed heads.

Regards,
Martin Brown

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Taverner

Thanks everyone, it would fit being a teasel, its coming out and the
goldfinchs will have to rely on the feeders.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Taverner

Tell me to mind my own business if you like but why dont you want to
keep it ?

Sorry deleted the link here is new link
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Kate
as you can see, it will dwarf the euphorbia. The garden is very new and raw
and quite small. In our old house we would have kept it.
It would be wonderful for the goldfinches in winter, but alas.

JT

Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Tell me to mind my own business if you like but why dont you want to
keep it ?

Sorry deleted the link here is new link
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Kate
as you can see, it will dwarf the euphorbia. The garden is very new and raw
and quite small. In our old house we would have kept it.
It would be wonderful for the goldfinches in winter, but alas.

JT

Yes, I can see your problem, maybe next year somewhere different, thank
you :-)

kate
Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

TIA

JT

Looks like a well fed Dock!

Its a Teasel

Oi, you could have let Gail say that :-)

Janet

yes ideedy I could, sorry Gail you can have the next one :-)))

Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Kate Morgan wrote:
TIA

JT

Looks like a well fed Dock!

Its a Teasel

Oi, you could have let Gail say that :-)

Janet

yes ideedy I could, sorry Gail you can have the next one :-)))

Ooh err...

Emm...does that mean that you will expect me to ID the next one?

Better get me books out quick :-))))

Gail

Old 09-05-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Its a Teasel

Oi, you could have let Gail say that :-)

Janet

yes ideedy I could, sorry Gail you can have the next one :-)))

Ooh err...

Emm...does that mean that you will expect me to ID the next one?

Better get me books out quick :-))))

Gail

Now look at the mess you have got yourself into, of course we will
expect you to know silly girl :-)))
Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Kate Morgan
writes

Thanks everyone, it would fit being a teasel, its coming out and the
goldfinchs will have to rely on the feeders.

Tell me to mind my own business if you like but why dont you want to
keep it ?

We had them come in the veg patch in the old garden. Left some in,
Bleedin' things seed madly we had hundreds of seedlings all over the veg
beds.

I'd only have them again in an area where the seeds wouldn't be a
problem
--
Chris French

Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

Its a Teasel

Oi, you could have let Gail say that :-)

Janet
yes ideedy I could, sorry Gail you can have the next one :-)))

Ooh err...

Emm...does that mean that you will expect me to ID the next one?

Better get me books out quick :-))))

Gail

Now look at the mess you have got yourself into, of course we will
expect you to know silly girl :-)))

Talking of things it's better not to know (or ask about). I was
pottering among me pots today and found a plant labelled mellitis
melissophyllum, just starting to make some interesting leaves. I must
have bought it last year but couldn't remember what on earth it was or
looked like, so I checked in google. Where I find it's real name is
******* Balm :-0

Janet.

Janet you have brought a smile to myself and that's saying something at
this time in the morning :-)) Thankyou!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

******* Balm is no more invasive than that Bloody Cranesbill and both are
less harmful than that Creep Jenny or the drunken old sod, Tumbling Ted.
******* cabbage wishes to be remembered along with a plethora of other
nicely named relatives but censorship has prevailed