Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Cheap pots and other garden sundries

Hi,

If your after pots and other basic garden kit try Wilkinsons.

Much cheaper than garden centres / DIY chains and good quality kit.
Great if your still learning as I am. 20x 3.5" pots for 99p!! can't be bad.

Here's a link.
http://www.wilko.co.uk/stores

Just to confirm....I'm a bargain hunter and have no interest in promoting the Wilko group.

Kind Regards
Brian
Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Yes I've used them too when working up in Bletchley. They are very
cheap especially some some seeds etc.

I got spring onions 'white lisbon' for 46p instead of £1.26 from a
major seed company

Old 11-05-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I got spring onions 'white lisbon' for 46p instead of £1.26 from a
major seed company

Yes, but did they grow? There seemed to be some consensus of poor
results with white lisbon spring onions on another thread. I'm
wondering if anyone has had luck with these!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

haven't tried them yet but will soon I hope

Old 11-05-2006, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

tvrchimaera wrote:
Hi,

If your after pots and other basic garden kit try Wilkinsons.

Much cheaper than garden centres / DIY chains and good quality kit.
Great if your still learning as I am. 20x 3.5" pots for 99p!! can't
be bad.

Here's a link.
http://www.wilko.co.uk/stores

Just to confirm....I'm a bargain hunter and have no interest in
promoting the Wilko group.

Kind Regards
Brian

Last year, I bought a Blackcurrent bush from Wilco. Just a brown stick with
a few 'roots'. Bunged it in, and this year it is 3ft hugh, well leaved, with
loadsa flower buds. I think it cost about £2-00.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 13-05-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , BoyPete
wrote
tvrchimaera wrote:
Hi,

If your after pots and other basic garden kit try Wilkinsons.

Here's a link.
http://www.wilko.co.uk/stores

Last year, I bought a Blackcurrent bush from Wilco. Just a brown stick with
a few 'roots'. Bunged it in, and this year it is 3ft hugh, well leaved, with
loadsa flower buds. I think it cost about £2-00.

I wouldn't touch Wilkinsons with a barge pole for any plant that was
(once) living.

They are great value for many things including garden hardware but the
staff treat the plants in exactly the same way as any other item they
sell. I've seen them wheel out a whole shelf of dying plants for sale.
They have still been on sale 2/3 days later with, apparently, not a
drop of water administered during this period.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 13-05-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

I also brought 12 geranium plugs from them which are doing very well on
my windowsill at the moment

I was not commenting on the care or expertise in which the plants or
horticultoral supplies were looked after , just the cost

Of course you wouldn't expect expert care at such a place , but at
those costs for the less well healed of us it's worth a punt

Old 13-05-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , BoyPete
wrote
tvrchimaera wrote:
[...]

Yes- I have seen that situation also at B&Q and Focus. Their inexperience
can pay dividends . I attempted to buy a few small tree ferns from Focus
several years ago and was told they were dead. I bought the lot for £10
stating that I wanted the logs as ornaments. They are now very healthy
plants.