Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered User

Default Best thing to stain Decking

Hi all,
Can you help?
I have some decking which last year spent circa £100 on 4 tins of ronseal decking stain. All looked nice, but loads of it has come off through, wear and tear ( admitedly a lot due to building an extension!). I wonder if there is anything better (and cheaper), that will a) last longer and b) cover the old staining and where it has come off?

thanks
Old 13-05-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"wsh@blueyonder." wrote in
message ...

--
wsh@blueyonder.

Don't have any decking but you can usually rely on children to stain
something permanently :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Elliott

Hi all,
Can you help?
I have some decking which last year spent circa £100 on 4 tins of
ronseal decking stain. All looked nice, but loads of it has come off
through, wear and tear ( admitedly a lot due to building an
extension!). I wonder if there is anything better (and cheaper), that
will a) last longer and b) cover the old staining and where it has come
off?

thanks

Ronseal is one of the better products, but twice a year we also use a
decking oil which soaks into the wood and helps preseve it.

A cheap way is to use fence paint but it does not look as nice in my opinion

Old 13-05-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"wsh@blueyonder." wrote in
message ...

Hi all,
Can you help?
I have some decking which last year spent circa £100 on 4 tins of
ronseal decking stain. All looked nice, but loads of it has come off
through, wear and tear ( admitedly a lot due to building an
extension!). I wonder if there is anything better (and cheaper), that
will a) last longer and b) cover the old staining and where it has come
off?

thanks

Don't have any decking but you can usually rely on children to stain
something permanently :~)

I find winter mould does a good job of staining my deck without me needing
to lift a finger. I guess that is no help thought eh.

rob

Old 16-05-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
andy

On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:11:20 +0000, wsh@blueyonder.
wrote:

Hi all,
Can you help?
I have some decking which last year spent circa £100 on 4 tins of
ronseal decking stain. All looked nice, but loads of it has come off
through, wear and tear ( admitedly a lot due to building an
extension!). I wonder if there is anything better (and cheaper), that
will a) last longer and b) cover the old staining and where it has come
off?

thanks

Is Ronseal water based ? I've just treated a deck using Cuprinol deck
stain which comes in different colours and it seems to have done a
pretty good job and penetrated the wood well . It is solvent based but
is supposed to be hard wearing ...... Only problem is if not going
over similar product you would have to remove other stuff first .
I got away with just presure washing etc.