Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill

Default plums ??

I put a (Victoria I think, labelling not being my major skill) plum in the
garden 4 years ago and have never had anything from it. The flowers on my
apples, pears and cherries have come and gone, but there has been nothing on
the plum.

Should there have been, or does the tree have to be older, or
................ , or have I got a duff tree?

thanks

Jon

Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
I put a (Victoria I think, labelling not being my major skill) plum in the
garden 4 years ago and have never had anything from it. The flowers on my
apples, pears and cherries have come and gone, but there has been nothing on
the plum.

Should there have been, or does the tree have to be older, or
............... , or have I got a duff tree?

thanks

Jon

Not sure how helpful or relevant this is, but when I was a kid we had a
Reine Claude plum tree at home (SW France). It was a full 15 to 20
years planted before we got anything off it. But by the deity of your
choice, did it make up for it thereafter!
A knowledgeable (allegedly) neighbour said to my Dad at the time that
it was probably because more plum trees had been planted in the
neighbourhood, and it needed cross polination it was not getting until
then.

Cat(h) (still drooling at the thought of the little, golden and
gorgeous Reine Claudes!!)

Old 12-05-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I put a (Victoria I think, labelling not being my major skill) plum in the
garden 4 years ago and have never had anything from it. The flowers on my
apples, pears and cherries have come and gone, but there has been nothing

on
the plum.

Should there have been, or does the tree have to be older, or
............... , or have I got a duff tree?

thanks

Jon

Plums flower early so blossom can be affected by frosts in spring, so you
may be losing the buds before you get to see them open. They often do better
on a wall. Victoria is self fertile but we got much better crops once it had
a pollinator. (but if its not flowering you have yet to reach that problem!)
Age also plays a part and here it will depend on the rootstock used, but I
seem to remember ours fruiting its first spring.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-05-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff

I have a victoria plum tree and this year there was quite a bit of
blossom but now there not one developing plum. I suppose it is due to
the peculiar weather this year which seems to be warm, cold, wet, dry,
cold, warm . . . . . . so you haven't missed out!!!

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM