Old 17-05-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

Default slowing a cordy

Hi

I have a Cordyline, I think it is an Australis and it's just a nice size and
shape. Can either potting it or clipping the roots slow it down without
harming it ?

MTIA

Steve

Old 17-05-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"stevej" wrote
I have a Cordyline, I think it is an Australis and it's just a nice size
and shape. Can either potting it or clipping the roots slow it down
without harming it ?

Steve, the roots are busy making their way home so your chance of pruning
them or successfully digging up the plant to pot it are rather small.
They look better as they get older and bigger IMO, especially once they have
split into a nice head and flower each year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-05-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

Hi Bob

I should have been clearer, its's in a large decorative pot now. But will
outgrow it soon, my though was to lift it and place in a normal plant pot
and then put it in the decorative pot and cover with compost.

Doe's that change your view, my alternative is to put it in the ground,
whereby I quite agree, let it grow. Assuming we see some sun.

Many thanks
Steve

"stevej" wrote

Old 17-05-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Bob Hobden" replied to
"stevej" who asked
I have a Cordyline, I think it is an Australis and it's just a nice size
and shape. Can either potting it or clipping the roots slow it down
without harming it ?

Steve, the roots are busy making their way home so your chance of pruning
them or successfully digging up the plant to pot it are rather small.
They look better as they get older and bigger IMO, especially once they
have split into a nice head and flower each year.

"stevej" wrote
I should have been clearer, its's in a large decorative pot now. But will
outgrow it soon, my though was to lift it and place in a normal plant pot
and then put it in the decorative pot and cover with compost.

Doe's that change your view, my alternative is to put it in the ground,
whereby I quite agree, let it grow. Assuming we see some sun.

It will just buy you time then. It will eventually outgrow the new pot too
and probably will look unhappy in the process.
If you have space plant it in the ground and it will turn into a nice
specimen tree in a few years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-05-2006, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

OK Bob, many thanks, that is what I am going to do. Have to make some room
;-)

Cheers
Steve

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" replied to
"stevej" who asked

Old 18-05-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

stevej wrote:
OK Bob, many thanks, that is what I am going to do. Have to make some
room ;-)

Cheers
Steve

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" replied to
"stevej" who asked
[...]

Once in the ground, it will grow very well. I have recently dug mine up, it
was 11 years old, 10ft high and about 7 ft across.
--
London meet 2006
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/meet2006/meet2006

Old 18-05-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"BoyPete" wrote stevej wrote:

Once in the ground, it will grow very well. I have recently dug mine up,
it was 11 years old, 10ft high and about 7 ft across.

and you are now waiting for a new one to spring up from the roots in the
next couple of years? :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

slowing dying hedges Don[_3_] Lawns 6 27-04-2007 01:12 AM
Tomatoes look greatm but fruit-set is slowing down........ Anthony A. Edible Gardening 2 01-08-2005 10:05 PM
stopping/slowing hedge growth AL Gardening 5 07-07-2004 09:02 PM
co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
No Posts...slowing down animaux Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:08 AM