Old 21-05-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default VERY welcome news

In message . com, Mike
Lyle writes

I wondered why the expensive borehole (the drought precautions were
inevitably, and genuinely, funny given the weather) so close to the
river. Is the river water brackish at Chelsea? (Shows how much I know,
I suppose.)

The Thames is tidal to well above Chelsea. (IIRC, the classic head of
tide is Teddington.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-05-2006, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message . com, Mike
Lyle writes

I wondered why the expensive borehole (the drought precautions were
inevitably, and genuinely, funny given the weather) so close to the
river. Is the river water brackish at Chelsea? (Shows how much I know,
I suppose.)

The Thames is tidal to well above Chelsea. (IIRC, the classic head of
tide is Teddington.)

Oh, sure. But I wondered if that was just fresh water being pushed in
and out by the sea, rather than sea water mixing in. You can perhaps
tell I'm no Londoner.

--
Mike.

Old 21-05-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Mike Lyle wrote:
Kate Morgan wrote:
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Excellent. Well done Ms Sacha

and so say all of us :-)))

Certainly.

Of course, I did it all alone, you know! Serioiusly, I'm glad that
public opinion has led to a revamp.

Meanwhile, back at the box...I rate it "so far, so good".
Plenty of plants, and I very much liked the Beardshaw background to his
exhibit. And those wonderful kids, and of course their great teacher,
with their orchids!

Weren't they absolutely fantastic? We were just riveted by them.

The helicopter bit with Swift pretending to spot
Titch made my heart sink, though: "Uh-oh! Here they go again!" But in
fact they didn't, by and large.

Our reaction was just the same. We groaned and said "same old, same
old" for those few seconds but it didn't develop that theme too far,
thank goodness and the exchanges between Alan and Joe were light
hearted but brief and their manner was extremely professional, we
thought. It has to strike a balance between informative and
entertainment but in the past, has gone too far in the latter
direction. Now on tonight's showing alone, 'back to informative' seems
to be the inclination and so far, so good. We really did enjoy
tonight's programme. And wasn't it a real joy to see plant names on
the screen instead of that frustrating thing of "what was THAT" when
something new and delectable appears but unidentified!

I wondered why the expensive borehole (the drought precautions were
inevitably, and genuinely, funny given the weather) so close to the
river. Is the river water brackish at Chelsea? (Shows how much I know,
I suppose.)

Pass. I have no idea but I do know that an awful lot of money has gone
into Chelsea-the-site over the years, such as electrical cables etc.
which are permanent fixtures the public never sees, so I think they
are unlikely to waste their money on water that will harm the entire
core of the Show.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-05-2006, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
ps.com...
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle549515.ece
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Boggle!!
It's funny you should post that Sacha, because I was going to start a new
thread saying that they haven't learnt much !!!!

There was STILL a lot of AT and the other presenters waffling on about not
much.

Then all that stuff about Da Vinci - could not see the point of that at all.

I was thinking that maybe I won't be watching the rest of the week if it's
going to be like this...............

Jenny

Old 22-05-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

JennyC wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
ps.com...
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle549515.ece
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Boggle!!
It's funny you should post that Sacha, because I was going to start a new
thread saying that they haven't learnt much !!!!

There was STILL a lot of AT and the other presenters waffling on about not
much.

Then all that stuff about Da Vinci - could not see the point of that at all.

I was thinking that maybe I won't be watching the rest of the week if it's
going to be like this...............

Jenny

Chelsea hasn't started yet. The gardens and the stands weren't
completed by the time we watched last night, so this was just a
'taster'. I don't think we can criticise them for not showing what
wasn't there! One of the problems the BBC and the gardeners had
yesterday was the truly appalling weather. It chucked it down most of
the time and we've had very high winds, too (A friend has just told me
that his boat in Weymouth has been sunk!) so I think it more than
probable that a lot of what the Beeb had planned to show us or people
they hoped to talk to, just wasn't available. If you remember, one of
the presenters is also one of those showing and he said they were still
trying to get painting done, in between downpours. I think the Beeb
had to do a fair bit of 'padding' in between. When the helicopter
thing first started, we did think it was going to be back to the old
formula but in fact, decided that showing the extent of the layout of
the Show was interesting and probably even more so to those who have
never been. I thought it a good thing that AT pointed out that there
are other, smaller gardens than the ones that make the big splashy news
and that he told potential visitors where to find them, for example.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-05-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
ps.com...
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle549515.ece
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Excellent. Well done Ms Sacha

Kewl!
I am surprised and impressed!

Des "Astonished in Dublin"

Old 22-05-2006, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message . com, Sacha
writes
One of the problems the BBC and the gardeners had yesterday was the
truly appalling weather. It chucked it down most of the time and we've
had very high winds, too (A friend has just told me that his boat in
Weymouth has been sunk!) so I think it more than probable that a lot
of what the Beeb had planned to show us or people they hoped to talk
to, just wasn't available.

Judging by very short forays into the garden, it won't be much better
today! Am looking forward to seeing what they come up with! - Or what,
indeed, isn't up yet ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-05-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Then all that stuff about Da Vinci - could not see the point of that at all.

I enjoyed that bit (though not seeing his notebook handled and pages
turned with bare hands, boggle; very bad conservation practice!). There
is life beyond gardening, after all :-)

That was our exact reaction to the handling of the book. We were
aghast!

Given all the current hype and silliness about the Da Vinci code book
and film, I welcomed a reminder that da Vinci himself was a real person
with an astonishing range of work and interests very well documented. I
knew his botanical drawings and painting details but had no idea he also
designed a major garden.

No, we didn't know that either, so in that respect, the sum of our
knowledge has certainly been increased. I think there was always going
to have to be something about that garden and IMO, it was a good idea
to get it into the pre-show coverage. And I liked a lot of the
features of the garden - the idea of the sepia tint of the walls and
the little muriels was a good one, we felt.
It was rather refreshing not to see a load of stainless steel or
coloured balls but I can't say I cared a lot for the pyramid, though I
understand the tie-in.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-05-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Klara wrote:
In message . com, Sacha
writes
One of the problems the BBC and the gardeners had yesterday was the
truly appalling weather. It chucked it down most of the time and we've
had very high winds, too (A friend has just told me that his boat in
Weymouth has been sunk!) so I think it more than probable that a lot
of what the Beeb had planned to show us or people they hoped to talk
to, just wasn't available.

Judging by very short forays into the garden, it won't be much better
today! Am looking forward to seeing what they come up with! - Or what,
indeed, isn't up yet ...

Well, it's still horrible here today - not quite as wet but pretty
windy and with showers still sending people scuttling indoors. As to
what isn't up yet, a fellow exhibitor at the Devon County Show didn't
have one Agapanthus in bloom to show and they're one of his
specialities. ;-( It really has been dire and even though we know
exhibitors at Chelsea bring on or hold back much of what they show,
just moving them into position in this weather must be a total
nightmare.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-05-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Then all that stuff about Da Vinci - could not see the point of that at

all.

I enjoyed that bit (though not seeing his notebook handled and pages
turned with bare hands, boggle; very bad conservation practice!). There
is life beyond gardening, after all :-)

I didn't see the programme, but at a guess it may have been a
facsimile. Large numbers of them have been produced, both for
scholarly purposes, and for exhibitions etc which would be
almost indistiguishable from the original, even from close up.

michael adams

Janet

Old 22-05-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

michael adams wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Then all that stuff about Da Vinci - could not see the point of that at

all.

I enjoyed that bit (though not seeing his notebook handled and pages
turned with bare hands, boggle; very bad conservation practice!). There
is life beyond gardening, after all :-)

I didn't see the programme, but at a guess it may have been a
facsimile. Large numbers of them have been produced, both for
scholarly purposes, and for exhibitions etc which would be
almost indistiguishable from the original, even from close up.

I hope you're right. I don't remember the exact wordiing of the
commentary now but it *sounded* as if we were seeing the real thing to
my trusting ears.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-05-2006, 01:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Pam Moore" wrote
"Sacha" wrote:
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle549515.ece

This was discussed on GQT today also. Did Ihear right that Carol
Klein's talks on plants are only availble to digital viewers? That's
not fair.
DG is certainly out of favour for his compost adverts!

It's certainly a shame to deprive anyone of Carol Klein's contributions.
I've just watched her 'Walks' part of today's interactive content and I
must say it was extremely informative and immensely enjoyable. I do hope
you can manage to see it somehow Pam. Carol is a natural to do that part
since she obviously knows most of the exhibitors personally, and is so
knowledgeable about all the plants, taking time to show and describe
many of the most interesting varieties on each stand she visits. She's
also such a fluent speaker and presenter that she's a joy to listen to;
much better than C. Dimmock, whose reading from an autocue on the BBC1
slots seemed as wooden as usual.

Well done so far to the Beeb. If only they can keep a rein on
Titchmarsh's worst "humorous banter" interludes (e.g. the silly giggling
over R de T's shoes) it's shaping up to be an enjoyable week's viewing.

--
Sue

Old 23-05-2006, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Tue, 23 May 2006 01:45:19 +0100, "Sue"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote
"Sacha" wrote:
[...]

It was most enjoyable as her knowledge and personality showed through in
a way you don't quite see on Gardeners World. I'm getting quite excited
about my visit given the preview so far.

For those who can't get digital surely the simplest answer is for
someone on the group to record each session - especially as they are on
a rolling cycle each day - and then burn to a DVD capturing the week's
information. I don't possess a DVD player / recorder but someone on the
group surely does?
--
Paul C
Old 23-05-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Sue wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote
"Sacha" wrote:
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle549515.ece

This was discussed on GQT today also. Did Ihear right that Carol
Klein's talks on plants are only availble to digital viewers? That's
not fair.
DG is certainly out of favour for his compost adverts!

It's certainly a shame to deprive anyone of Carol Klein's contributions.
I've just watched her 'Walks' part of today's interactive content and I
must say it was extremely informative and immensely enjoyable. I do hope
you can manage to see it somehow Pam. Carol is a natural to do that part
since she obviously knows most of the exhibitors personally, and is so
knowledgeable about all the plants, taking time to show and describe
many of the most interesting varieties on each stand she visits.

snip

Carol is a very good presenter, IMO when she's allowed to get on with
it and given enough time to develop her theme, rather than those choppy
little bits we see of her on GW. She's an extremely knowledgeable
plantswoman and her passion for her subject comes over well, I agree.
We visited her nursery last year, just after Chelsea and she said then
that she wouldn't be exhibiting again, though I rather doubt she knew
at that stage, just how involved she would be this year! She certainly
would know most if not all, of the exhibitors as some of them go to
every show there is and many go to a lot of them. We met one man last
week who does 60 shows a year - I can't imagine how! And some of the
big nurseries have a person who does nothing but shows for them,
designs them, sets them up, organises the selling etc. A famous
nursery in the south west has an ex-nurseryman who gave up his own
place some way away but has taken over all their show management for
them.
Like you, we enjoyed watching Carol Klein last night and hope she gets
to do a lot more. So far, the coverage is shaping up very well, we
thought and found it to be a really huge improvement on previous years.
I do think a little levity is allowed!! It's not Newsnight or
Panorama, after all and we felt the balance was just right yesterday.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-05-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

So far, the coverage is shaping up very well,

To your approval? Soooooooooo pleased.

'suppose this thread will go on for ""ever"" supported by the "sacha
appreciation society' ... :-(

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007