Old 22-05-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Peas flowering instead of growing

I started off some peas in pots in the greenhouse a while ago, but
became too busy to plant them out when they were ready, so they sat for
an extra couple of weeks in their pots feeling sorry for themselves.
When I did plant them out, they just sat there for a while (another
couple of weeks) and are now trying to flower, still at only about six
inches high. This is a climbing variety that's supposed to reach six foot.

I know I've maltreated them and they're reacting to that. But if I pull
off these flower heads rather then letting them set, will the plants
start growing again now and produce more flowers, or is there nothing
more I can do for them?

Rhiannon
Old 22-05-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
I started off some peas in pots in the greenhouse a while ago, but
became too busy to plant them out when they were ready, so they sat for
an extra couple of weeks in their pots feeling sorry for themselves.
When I did plant them out, they just sat there for a while (another
couple of weeks) and are now trying to flower, still at only about six
inches high. This is a climbing variety that's supposed to reach six foot.
I know I've maltreated them and they're reacting to that. But if I pull
off these flower heads rather then letting them set, will the plants
start growing again now and produce more flowers, or is there nothing
more I can do for them?

All peas climb - what kind of peas do you have. I would just let them
grow but start some more.

I haven't done peas indoors for years, beside sweet peas - I find that
sown too early and they go lanky, they don't get enough warmth, then
shoot up and then stop for ages, pots dry out etc. sounds like yours
actually ... ;o) Now is the best time to plant peas, straight in the
ground, so start again outdoors like now! I've done mine on a raised
bed this year under a spitting rain yesterday late afternoon, but the
soil was light, because it is raised, which is an amazing luck. Don't
forget to scare the birds or cover them with a net.