Old 23-05-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jerry

Default is there a weedkiller I can spray on plants without killing them?

.....because the weeds are all around the plants, and pulling them out
individually takes for ever!

Thanks

Old 23-05-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Jerry wrote:
....because the weeds are all around the plants, and pulling them out
individually takes for ever!

Thanks

I assume you mean selective, like it will kill dandelions but not
lettuce, afraid not. Maybe in the future they will be able to target
weeds, but at the moment the only "selective" weedkillers are those that
kill broad leaved plants only, as are used on lawns, and of course by at
least one idiot (blushes) ON SEED BEDS!

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 23-05-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jerry

Well I have like yukkas, and weeds on the bed of bark. Can a selective
weedkiller help me?
Also ferns - and weeds!

Old 23-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jerry wrote:
Well I have like yukkas, and weeds on the bed of bark. Can a selective
weedkiller help me?
Also ferns - and weeds!

A long handle hoe would be perfect for this )

Old 23-05-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Not unless you are growing GM crops.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Well I have like yukkas, and weeds on the bed of bark. Can a selective
weedkiller help me?
Also ferns - and weeds!

Jerry:

how would the weedkiller know which plants to kill and which ones to
not kill?
It will take you longer to find a weedkiller and mix it up and use it
than to just pull the weeds up.

Des

I feel for you, Jerry.
When us newbies start gardening, we are fooled by all those wonder
products in teh garden centre, and those instant makeover show, to
believe that there *is* such a thing as low-maintenance gardens.
Well, there isn't. The only low maintenance garden is tarmacked every
2 years from boundary to boundary. Because most weeds do eventually
colonise tarmac.
It is all an evil plot from the chemical industry and other landscapers
who make a fortune from our gullibility. Yes, you will have to buy a
hoe. Yes, you will have to get it out at least every couple of weeks.
And yes, there will be some really irritating git who will tell you in
March "remember, a bucket of weeds pulled now is three wheelbarrow-load
worth in May".
They're right. But by God, do they take the romance out of gardening.
Regrettably, in gardening like in other things, no pain, no gain.
So get your hoe out, and less of that whining about inexistent
selective weed killers.
Sheesh!

Cat(h)

Old 23-05-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lyndon

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

That reminds me of the time I first bought some gardneing books. One of them
was called "Labour Saving Gardening". I rushed home and read it from cover
to cover, but I felt cheated. It didn't seem to be very different from any
other gardening book I had read. Then the penny dropped. The way to a labour
saving garden is to do the job properly in the first place.
--
Lyndon

Old 23-05-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "Jerry" contains these words:

.....because the weeds are all around the plants, and pulling them out
individually takes for ever!

Uh, we're gardeners. Everything takes forever, and each plant has to
be handled individually, but we just don't care.

Well, it's the whole point of it really, isn't it? How can you spot that
special plant that's arrived unannounced if you've zapped them all with
a watering can of weedkiller? How do you learn about plants if you never
get nearer to them than the end of a hoe?
--
Kay
Old 26-05-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes
And yes, there will be some really irritating git who will tell you in
March "remember, a bucket of weeds pulled now is three wheelbarrow-load
worth in May".

Or, "one year's seeding, seven year's weeding"

--
regards andyw