Old 25-05-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Dyer

Default Newbie tomato grower - possible tomato plant virus?

I'm a first-time tomato grower, growing some Gardener's Delight toms from
seed. I've got two pots of them sitting in the cold frame and they've been
doing pretty well; but this morning I noticed that a lot of the leaves on
both plants are looking mottled. I didn't have the chance to have more than
a quick look, but virus infection immediately sprang to mind. I'll try to
take some pictures and post a link tonight, but if it does turn out to be a
virus infection is it worth me planting them out, or should I get rid of
them (especially as I'm a bit worried they might spread something nasty to
the potatoes).

Thanks

John (in Haslemere, Surrey)

Old 25-05-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:27:49 +0100, John Dyer wrote
(in article ):

I'm a first-time tomato grower, growing some Gardener's Delight toms from
seed. I've got two pots of them sitting in the cold frame and they've been
doing pretty well; but this morning I noticed that a lot of the leaves on
both plants are looking mottled. I didn't have the chance to have more than
a quick look, but virus infection immediately sprang to mind. I'll try to
take some pictures and post a link tonight, but if it does turn out to be a
virus infection is it worth me planting them out, or should I get rid of
them (especially as I'm a bit worried they might spread something nasty to
the potatoes).

Thanks

John (in Haslemere, Surrey)

Could it be scorching from sun (ha!) through the glass on wet leaves? (from
one who used to live in sunny Camelsdale ;- )

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John Dyer writes
I'm a first-time tomato grower, growing some Gardener's Delight toms from
seed. I've got two pots of them sitting in the cold frame and they've been
doing pretty well; but this morning I noticed that a lot of the leaves on
both plants are looking mottled. I didn't have the chance to have more than
a quick look, but virus infection immediately sprang to mind. I'll try to
take some pictures and post a link tonight, but if it does turn out to be a
virus infection is it worth me planting them out, or should I get rid of
them (especially as I'm a bit worried they might spread something nasty to
the potatoes).

Have a look under the leaves and see if it's insect attack.
--
Kay
Old 26-05-2006, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Dyer

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...

snip

Could it be scorching from sun (ha!) through the glass on wet leaves?

(from
one who used to live in sunny Camelsdale ;- )

Small world! I moved from Putney in south-west London to Camelsdale last
year, though now I've moved again to be a short dash to the station for my
daily trawl back up to the smoke.

I hadn't thought about scorching, but I guess it could be: they're on the
sunny side of the cold frame and I have been splashing some water aroung in
the morning before rushing off to work (avoiding watering in the evenings to
try and defeat the slugs!).

I failed to transfer pics from camera to PC to web site last night (and I
work in IT!) but I'll have another go tonight.

Old 26-05-2006, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Dyer

"K" wrote in message
news
snip

Have a look under the leaves and see if it's insect attack.
--
Kay

Had a look and didn't spot anything, but thanks for the suggestion.