Old 26-05-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joseph

Default What is this?

"La Puce" wrote in message...
Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

You might want to see this website (warning! - graphic photos):
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/hogweed.html

Old 26-05-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:12:53 +0100, wrote
(in article . com):

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

snip
Do not let Sacha know of your desires:-)

snip

It is a very impressive plant but does get invasive sometimes in
conservation areas.
In a garden, it is probably controllable and could be a conversation
piece?

The friend of ours who tried to 'control' it ended up in hospital, hence
Rupert's remark. It's very handsome but it's dangerous.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Interesting to note that the active nasty chemical in Heracleum is the same
as that in Rue-which I remember you said had also caused problems.
Apparently Grapefruit and Celery also contain the nasty which may cause
problems to some people.

Old 26-05-2006, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it?
Much
shinier.
--
Call it dedication but I have just inspected, by torchlight, one of the
two

I'm very tempted! I've only ever seen it once - a wonderful stately
plant,
but I don't think I have space for it.

--
Kay

Do not let Sacha know of your desires:-)
It's a very politically incorrect plant although I note a few of the
Stately
homes still grow it as a specimen plant.
Incidentally the red stem is produced by the hairy nodules on top of the
green stem. I have been told by a reliable source that the toxic/
irritant
sap thingy only applies at a certain time of year but I do not know when.
Off to wash my hands.

The irritant only works when exposed to sunlight (I think it needs UV
light).
So nothing happens in dull weather but it causes blisters in the sun.
A classic "injury" is a ring of blisters around yer mouth if you use it
as a blow pipe (when aged 11 or so I hasten to add).

It is a very impressive plant but does get invasive sometimes in
conservation areas.
In a garden, it is probably controllable and could be a conversation
piece?

So you remember the pea shooter use as well as me.
Kids with purple mouths meant hogweed burn or Gentian Violet. Yellow head
meant Acriflavine.
I recall my father getting me and my mates to harvest the stuff for use as
kindling.

Old 26-05-2006, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

[...]

You had a father?
Luxury!! In my day, we had to get up at half past three, ten minutes
after going to bed; lick the slugs off the nettles and be finished in
time to eat raw death cap sandwiches that our mother prepared for
breakfast;
if we were lucky!

Old 26-05-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gentlegreen

"Joseph" wrote in message
"La Puce" wrote in message...
Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

You might want to see this website (warning! - graphic photos):
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/hogweed.html

I actually harvested and germinated some seeds one year (there's a small
colony on the way home) ... but I eventually chickened out and planted an
angelica instead.

But the giant hogweed has by far the sexiest umbels IMHO - like champagne
glasses :-)

..

Old 26-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

gentlegreen wrote:
I actually harvested and germinated some seeds one year (there's a small
colony on the way home) ... but I eventually chickened out and planted an
angelica instead.

I'm so so glad my colleagues didn't try to pick some up. They know how
much I love umbels flowers too ... Here's one flower from another
picture they took.

http://cjoint.com/?fArpMftvJE

But the giant hogweed has by far the sexiest umbels IMHO - like champagne
glasses :-)

Funny how the things one really wish to have are usually very hard or
dangerous to get )

Old 26-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Reminds me of my Prog-Rock days - http://www.lyricsdomain.com/7/genesi...t_hogweed.html

Old 26-05-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

Now *THAT* made oi chuckle!!

Old 26-05-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

[...]

"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night,
half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump
of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill
owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home,
our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves
singing "Hallelujah."
But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't
believe ya'."
http://www.cmoore.com/funstuff/humor...weresopoor.php

Old 26-05-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC writes

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.
--
Call it dedication but I have just inspected, by torchlight, one of the
two
Heracleums growing here. I had never noticed that some of the stems are
almost completely red.
The rest of the stems are a blotchy red with paler bits. The leaf is the
right shape etc . The picture shows the plant in bright sunlight which
might
account for the brighter/shinier look.
You are welcome to a cutting:-)

I'm very tempted! I've only ever seen it once - a wonderful stately plant,
but I don't think I have space for it.
Kay

Yes you do :~)
Right down the bottom of the garden. It does not mind shade..........
Jenny

It'd get in the way of the hammock!

--
Kay
Old 27-05-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

The irritant only works when exposed to sunlight (I think it needs UV
light).
So nothing happens in dull weather but it causes blisters in the sun.

The skin becomes photosensitised by the chemicals, so later on, every
time sunshine hits that same area of skin , it will blister, exactly
like being burned severely over and over again. This can last years.

A classic "injury" is a ring of blisters around yer mouth if you use it
as a blow pipe (when aged 11 or so I hasten to add).

I suspect you experienced the much lesser, temporary reaction by wet
skin to the sap of one of the native umbellifers, cow parsley or native
hogweeed (a local irritant is not the same thing, as
photosensitisation). Also, the stems of HM are as thick as my wrist,
far too wide for powerful peashooting :-)

It didn't happen me; I saw a photopgraph of the injury.
A kid had chopped down a stem and was blowing down it and he got a ring of
blisters.
First time I ever saw HM was when I was 19.

It is a very impressive plant but does get invasive sometimes in
conservation areas.
In a garden, it is probably controllable and could be a conversation
piece?

It's *highly* invasive and perennial. It's an offence to purposely
plant it anywhere. Scottish councils have a notification and eradication
programme for it.

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/pr...67839/?lang=_e gives chapter
and verse and also a good photo showing the scale of a mature plant

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

Old 27-05-2006, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes

It's *highly* invasive and perennial. It's an offence to purposely
plant it anywhere.

No, it's an offence to plant it in the wild.
--
Kay