Old 27-05-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

Default Slut Tape: where can I get some

Years ago I used a product called "Slug Tape" (IIRC)
to minimise the slugs and snails had on my plants.
(N.B. it isn't the adhesive copper tape.)

I can't find any now, and I'm wondering where I can
get it.

Slug Tape was a 1cm wide strip of paper impregnated
with metaldehyde. When layed across a "slug highway",
it was extremely effective at preventing them getting
near my plants. Alternatively, putting a loop around
a stem protected that individual plants. It was
effective for a surprisingly long time, surviving
several showers or a burst of heavy rain. Since it
was paper, birds etc didn't eat it, unlike the blue
granules.

Currently I'm making an alternative by painting a
thick metaldehyde paste onto toilet roll cardboard
types. It works, but I'm lazy.

So does anybody know
- who made it?
- where I can get some from?
- any alternatives?

Thanks!

Old 27-05-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:01:54 GMT, Tom Gardner
wrote:

Years ago I used a product called "Slug Tape" (IIRC)
to minimise the slugs and snails had on my plants.
(N.B. it isn't the adhesive copper tape.)

I was a little concerned about the post title but you've now clarified
that ;-)
--
Paul C
Old 27-05-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

Basildon.

Next question?

--
Brian

Old 27-05-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

wrote:

[...]

Can't help, but where do you get your metaldehyde?

--
Chris

Old 27-05-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

wrote:

Years ago I used a product called "Slug Tape" (IIRC)
to minimise the slugs and snails had on my plants.
(N.B. it isn't the adhesive copper tape.)

I was a little concerned about the post title but you've now clarified
that ;-)

Ah. I see what you mean.

Old 27-05-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

"Brian Watson" wrote in
:

Basildon.

Next question?

North south east or west, and distance?
Old 28-05-2006, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
43.53...
"Brian Watson" wrote in
:

Basildon.

Next question?

North south east or west, and distance?

The one nearest Laindon.

--
Brian

Old 28-05-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

Can't help, but where do you get your metaldehyde?

Scotts Liquid Concentrate "Slug Clear", which
is 20% metaldehyde. I got it from a local garden
centre a few years ago.

Presumably an alternative would be firelighters,
but I haven't looked to see what would be a
suitable solvent.