Old 28-05-2006, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies

Default What's eating our rhubarb??

"SusieThompson" wrote in message
We're starting to eat the first of our rhubarb and very good it is.

But
we suddenly have a problem. I went out this morning to find that a

lot
of the larger younger leaves have been stripped right down to the main
veins, leaving just a ragged skeleton. No holes in the leaves, just

the
leaves chewed right back. I I didn't think anything ate rhubarb

leaves,
given that they're known to be poisonous. Has anybody any idea who or
what the culprits might be?
Thanks
Susie
--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with

"arrandragons.co.uk" to
reply by e-mail.

Snails and slugs love rhubarb. I suggest you pay a visit after dark in
order to confirm or disprove this theory.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

[...]

Did you have a peep at night to eliminate the slug/snail theory?

Old 21-06-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"SusieThompson" wrote in message
In message , Emrys Davies
writes

Did you have a peep at night to eliminate the slug/snail theory?

I did have a look, but nothing to be seen. There's been no further damage
since the original, so I'm hoping that whatever it was has gone away.
Susie

I know what eats mine - the hens :-(

I put a coil of chicken wire round the stems so that the hens couldn't reach
the leaves. The chicks just flew up, sat on the 'crown' and muched away.

Mary