Old 28-05-2006, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
SusieThompson

Default What's eating our rhubarb??

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

We're starting to eat the first of our rhubarb and very good it is. But
we suddenly have a problem. I went out this morning to find that a lot
of the larger younger leaves have been stripped right down to the main
veins, leaving just a ragged skeleton. No holes in the leaves, just the
leaves chewed right back. I I didn't think anything ate rhubarb leaves,
given that they're known to be poisonous. Has anybody any idea who or
what the culprits might be?

I don't think slugs..even Arran slugs can't eat that much at one
sitting. That leaves either deer, badgers, sheep or rabbits, though as
you say that sems so unlikely (I've never known animals eat them
before).

The other possibility is that they were shredded bare by high wind?
Rhubarb leaves are quite soft at this time of year.Your village is
notorious for high wind racing through the valley. I read in the Banner
yesterday that when the agricultural show was held there, all the
marquees blew away in the night :-)

It was a very windy night last night.

Thanks for the suggestions Janet. I can't say that I've seen deer,
badgers, sheep or rabbits around here, but there are hares in the fields
in the valley. I'm not sure that it could be hares as there are many
more inviting plants between where they could get into the garden and
where the rhubarb is, and they haven't been touched. Could it be birds
- wood pigeons maybe? It's only the leaves at the both ends of the row
that have been attacked, and then only the Victoria rhubarb. Whatever
it is isn't keen on the flavour of Timperley Early as that's been left
completely alone.

Agreed this valley can get the high winds (35mph today), so not very
long ago we moved the rhubarb into a fairly sheltered corner away from
the prevailing winds, so I don't think that's the cause.

Susie
--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to