Old 02-06-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default horticulteral grit Vs pea shingle

I just wanting to know is there any reason gardening programmes always
recommend horticulteral grit instead of something such as pea shingle.

Is there any problem with mulching plants with pea shingle or using it
at the base of pots for drainage ?

Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just wanting to know is there any reason gardening programmes always
recommend horticulteral grit instead of something such as pea shingle.

Horticultural grit is usually available in smaller sizes
than is pea shingle. The granite which IIRR most grit is
made from, may also be beneficial for soil coditioning although
you'd imagine this would take decades. Although most grit
includes plenty of dust.

Also some suppliers misdescribe broken shingle as
pea shingle.

On my understanderstanding pea shingle is rounded i.e pea shaped
pebbles. Broken shingle is broken and mixed pebbles. The pea refers
to the shape not the size. However the mis-describers take it
to refer to the size.

Miniature graded pea shingle from aquarium suppliers in markets
is the bees-knees for dressing cacti and succulents IMO.

Is there any problem with mulching plants with pea shingle or using it
at the base of pots for drainage ?

Not in my experience no, I use it for both purposes.

Gravel is maybe better for incorporating in potting soil however, as
it's generally available in a more useful size in smaller quantities
for that particular purpose.

michael adams

Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On 2 Jun 2006 06:17:59 -0700, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I just wanting to know is there any reason gardening programmes always
recommend horticulteral grit instead of something such as pea shingle.

Is there any problem with mulching plants with pea shingle or using it
at the base of pots for drainage ?

I've heard it suggested that because grit is angular and jagged, it
keeps the compost more open and free-draining than would pea shingle.
Latter good for a decorative mulch though.

--
Chris

Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:
| On 2 Jun 2006 06:17:59 -0700, "Gardening_Convert"
| wrote:
|
| I just wanting to know is there any reason gardening programmes always
| recommend horticulteral grit instead of something such as pea shingle.

ObCynic: They get a commission on it?

| Is there any problem with mulching plants with pea shingle or using it
| at the base of pots for drainage ?
|
| I've heard it suggested that because grit is angular and jagged, it
| keeps the compost more open and free-draining than would pea shingle.
| Latter good for a decorative mulch though.

Yes. Pea shingle is fine for mulching, but not so good for a layer of
drainage, as the soil will merge into it. In my experience, the best
drainage layer (which is also the best water retention layer) for pots
is a good handful of lawn moss :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
[IBC] Chicken Grit [email protected] Bonsai 7 31-03-2005 06:57 PM
"Black Beauty" Sand blasting Grit Steve Thorp Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 25-02-2004 07:36 PM
"Black Beauty" Sand blasting Grit Steve Thorp Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-02-2004 05:46 PM
"Black Beauty" Sand blasting Grit Steve Thorp Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-02-2004 04:43 PM