Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Did they get it wrong on BBC2

Dave Roberts wrote:
[...]
Slightly off topic, sorry for that, but the one pronunciation that
catches a nerve with me is couch grass. Why do some people pronounce it
as coo-ch, surely it has to be cow-ch.
Would you ask someone to sit down on the coo-ch?

Not the same word. The sofa thing comes from French _coucher_, while
the grass was _cwice_ in Old English, hence modern variants "quitch",
"twitch", etc. It would be rare for -wi- to become -ow-, and I believe
the erroneous [cowch] is one of those spelling pronunciations we are
cursed with since the advent of universdal literacy. ("Literacy"! Huh!
Anyone for "crokay"?)

--
Mike.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
| Dave Roberts wrote:
| [...]
| Slightly off topic, sorry for that, but the one pronunciation that
| catches a nerve with me is couch grass. Why do some people pronounce it
| as coo-ch, surely it has to be cow-ch.
| Would you ask someone to sit down on the coo-ch?
|
| Not the same word. The sofa thing comes from French _coucher_, while
| the grass was _cwice_ in Old English, hence modern variants "quitch",
| "twitch", etc. It would be rare for -wi- to become -ow-, and I believe
| the erroneous [cowch] is one of those spelling pronunciations we are
| cursed with since the advent of universdal literacy. ("Literacy"! Huh!
| Anyone for "crokay"?)

Not me. Try Davy Crockett.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Roberts writes

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Wrote:
Watched Titchmarsh who talked about Gunnera manicata and pronounced it
kate-a. Thought it was cart-a?

Is Kate-a an Americanism? Sounds a bit that way.

Slightly off topic, sorry for that, but the one pronunciation that
catches a nerve with me is couch grass. Why do some people pronounce it
as coo-ch, surely it has to be cow-ch.
Would you ask someone to sit down on the coo-ch?

That would be logical if the name of the grass was derived from the
sofa. But AFAIK it isn't. English is full of words which have different
pronunciations depend on which of their two meanings you intend - why
should couch be any different?

--
Kay
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message 8
from Tom Gardner contains these words:

I picked this up in 1990; it was old then.

Thanks very much, I hadn't seen it before :-)

Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?

"Baraclough", according to all overseas call centres.

How do you pronounce it, then?
--
Kay
Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
K writes:
| Janet Baraclough writes
| The message 8
| from Tom Gardner contains these words:
|
| I picked this up in 1990; it was old then.
|
| Thanks very much, I hadn't seen it before :-)
|
| Finally, which rhymes with enough --
| Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
|
| "Baraclough", according to all overseas call centres.
|
| How do you pronounce it, then?

If Featherstonehaugh is anything to go by, Bray.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"K" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough writes
The message 8
from Tom Gardner contains these words:

I picked this up in 1990; it was old then.

Thanks very much, I hadn't seen it before :-)

Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?

"Baraclough", according to all overseas call centres.

How do you pronounce it, then?
--
Kay

For those Hyacinth Bucket moments -

Featherstonehaugh - Fanshaw

Baraclough - Barlow

michael adams

Old 05-06-2006, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:
| Finally, which rhymes with enough --
| Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
|
| "Baraclough", according to all overseas call centres.
|
| How do you pronounce it, then?
|
| Barrra-cluff.
|
| Not, Baraclow Baraclue, Baracl-ouch, Baracloe, Baraclaw, Baracloosh,
| Barachooga, Baracloog, Baraclog, or Barlow.

Or Bray :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

It was written:
For those Hyacinth Bucket moments -
Featherstonehaugh - Fanshaw
Baraclough - Barlow

Or how about Barnoldswick, near Pendle, pronounced "Barlick". And
Cholmondeley.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

[...]
How do you pronounce it, then?

Barrra-cluff.

Not, Baraclow Baraclue, Baracl-ouch, Baracloe, Baraclaw, Baracloosh,
Barachooga, Baracloog, Baraclog, or Barlow.

Igh doughnte beighleighve yough.

--
Leeleh (according to BT's Indian call centre).

Old 05-06-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from K contains these words:

Janet Baraclough writes
The message 8
from Tom Gardner contains these words:

I picked this up in 1990; it was old then.

Thanks very much, I hadn't seen it before :-)

Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?

"Baraclough", according to all overseas call centres.

How do you pronounce it, then?

Barrra-cluff.

That's what I thought! Rhyming with 'enough' - first line of that poem
suggested that that was the pronunciation you were objecting to

--
Kay

Old 05-06-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

michael adams wrote:
Nope, apparently the second vowel is long
"ay" rather than "ar"
as in
Maculata = "mac-you-LAY-ta"
Brachialis = "bray-kee-AY-lis"
Umbellata = "um-bell-LAY-ta"

My latin, and do escuse my French, is Macoolata, Brakialees,
oombellata. And one for Sacha, Peenoos. Those LAY, KEE, BRAY, YOU and
whatnots are English sounds, not Latin.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| My latin, and do escuse my French, is Macoolata, Brakialees,
| oombellata. And one for Sacha, Peenoos. Those LAY, KEE, BRAY, YOU and
| whatnots are English sounds, not Latin.

What is the secret of your longevity? Classical Latin was last used
as a mother tongue some two millennia ago, so you clearly must be at
least that old.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| My latin, and do escuse my French, is Macoolata, Brakialees,
| oombellata. And one for Sacha, Peenoos. Those LAY, KEE, BRAY, YOU and
| whatnots are English sounds, not Latin.

As the website made clear, horticultural Latin uses an Anglicised
form of Latin. The suggestion being that there is a measure of
agreement as to the pronunciation of this Anglicised Latin. Given
that many of the teachers were themselves taught in the same
institutions down the years. That and the fact that Latin isn't a
Romance Language unlike say French, will account for differences
between Anglicised Lation and other forms.

michael adams

Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , The Invalid
writes
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:16:17 GMT, "Ade" wrote:

It was written:
For those Hyacinth Bucket moments -
Featherstonehaugh - Fanshaw
Baraclough - Barlow

Or how about Barnoldswick, near Pendle, pronounced "Barlick". And
Cholmondeley.

Having lived in Barnoldswick in the 70's, I never heard it called
that.

Menzies (pronounced Peter)

Coming from Burnley, I have never heard Barnoldswick called 'Barlick'
either. Load of rubbish.

However, I do know that Wymondham in Norfolk is pronounced Windam,
whilst Wymondham in Lincs (?) is pronounced as it is written.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-06-2006, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"The Invalid" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:16:17 GMT, "Ade" wrote:

It was written:
For those Hyacinth Bucket moments -
Featherstonehaugh - Fanshaw
Baraclough - Barlow

Or how about Barnoldswick, near Pendle, pronounced "Barlick". And
Cholmondeley.

Having lived in Barnoldswick in the 70's, I never heard it called
that.

That's when it was still in Yorkshi-) It has always been called Barlick
and I am surprised you never heard it used

Menzies (pronounced Peter)