Old 25-02-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Stefan on BBC2

Hi,

Anyone fed up with the 'let's show anything but the plants', endless camera
trickery, and celebrity screen hogging that contemporary TV gardening has
become may find 'Stefan's Ultimate Gardens', Wed 26th Feb, BBC2 at 1:05pm
worth a look.

This week it's about plants that flourish in shady conditions.

I only found this was on by accident the other week so thought others may
be missing it too.

Ellen.

Old 25-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Sue

wrote
Anyone fed up with the 'let's show anything but the plants', endless
camera trickery, and celebrity screen hogging that contemporary TV
gardening has become

Yes, yes, and yes!

may find 'Stefan's Ultimate Gardens', Wed 26th Feb, BBC2 at 1:05pm
worth a look.

This week it's about plants that flourish in shady conditions.

Oh good, thanks. Hadn't seen or heard anything about it either, so I'd have
missed it.

Sue

Old 25-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Drakanthus

"Sue" wrote in message

wrote
Anyone fed up with the 'let's show anything but the plants', endless
camera trickery, and celebrity screen hogging that contemporary TV
gardening has become

Yes, yes, and yes!

Sue

Likewise! We were watching a program the other day and my other half was
muttering aloud "Come on then show us the garden and the plants!" - Split
second shots of the interesting stuff squeezed in between shots of the self
important presenters posing for the camera. Very irritating.
Why have gardening programs become so superficial? Almost no useful
practical gardening tips, just lots of posing and posturing, and everyone
rushing around trying to beat self imposed deadlines. As for ground force -
I've stopped watching that programme - what a farce - I can see why
Tichmarsh left!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 25-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Mike

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
"Sue" wrote in message

wrote
[...]

I have noticed this with many programmes where we are *supposed* to be
seeing what is being done, ie cooking, music etc, where all we can see
is the top of the head or a close up of the face :-((

Mike

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT GROWING OLD :
When you fall down, you wonder what else you can do while you're
down there.

Old 26-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Sue

"Mike" wrote
Drakanthus writes
Likewise! We were watching a program the other day and my other half was
muttering aloud "Come on then show us the garden and the plants!" -
Split second shots of the interesting stuff squeezed in between shots of
the self important presenters posing for the camera. Very irritating.
Why have gardening programs become so superficial? Almost no useful
practical gardening tips, just lots of posing and posturing, and
everyone rushing around trying to beat self imposed deadlines. As for
ground force - I've stopped watching that programme - what a farce - I
can see why Tichmarsh left!

I don't know about others, but its precisely to get -away- from deadlines
and pressures and rat-race living that I get out in my garden.
Ground Farce is a programme that was past its sell-by date two or three
series ago. I wish producers would realise that you don't need gimmicks to
make a good programme about gardens and gardening; it's the subject that's
the draw.

I have noticed this with many programmes where we are *supposed* to be
seeing what is being done, ie cooking, music etc, where all we can see
is the top of the head or a close up of the face :-((

And another thing, if they're going to show arty close ups of a flower then
for goodness sake also show the whole plant so it can be seen in context
with size, general growth habit etc, otherwise its almost pointless.

As for poor old Stefan, he got cancelled anyway in favour of a load of
political hot air from the Commons.

Sue

Old 26-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Sue Chamberlain

Thanks for the info ... actually, we got Dan Pearson instead (just in
Wales?) but that was nice.
Incidentally, thanks also to those who offered constructive comments on my
Jerusalem artichokes when I was sick. I've lost that thread so offer my
thanks here instead.