Old 05-12-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening, food comedy night on BBC2 5-12-2006

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
Digging Deep, Rick Stein's food heroes, Heston Blumenthal almost sets
alight to the Fat Duck's car park whilst trying to make crispy succulent
chicken.

The mind boggles - have come across Rick Stein on TV (and switched
channels hurriedly) but Heston Blumenthal (AFAIK) has failed to reach
Antipodean TV - should I be grateful ?
Anne Chambers, South Australia

shame on you Anne. Across the Tasman we quite enjoyed watching Rick Stein.
My dogs thought chalky was the real hero. Much prefer Stein to the obnoxious
bloke who puts a fck into every sentence (whatever his name is).

rob

Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

--
Anne Chambers, South Australia
Old 05-12-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Chambers
writes
Martin wrote:
Digging Deep, Rick Stein's food heroes, Heston Blumenthal almost sets
alight to the Fat Duck's car park whilst trying to make crispy succulent
chicken.

The mind boggles - have come across Rick Stein on TV (and switched
channels hurriedly) but Heston Blumenthal (AFAIK) has failed to reach
Antipodean TV - should I be grateful ?

Have a look here and decide...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=heston_blumenthal

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Chambers" wrote after Martin reminded us:
Digging Deep, Rick Stein's food heroes, Heston Blumenthal almost sets
alight to the Fat Duck's car park whilst trying to make crispy succulent
chicken.

The mind boggles - have come across Rick Stein on TV (and switched
channels hurriedly) but Heston Blumenthal (AFAIK) has failed to reach
Antipodean TV - should I be grateful ?

Rick Stein is OK as far as food programes go, quite down to earth for a
foody.
But Heston, whilst having 2 or 3 Michelin stars at the Fat Duck** at Bray,
has an experimental kitchen where he takes traditional items (like Black
Forest Gateau) apart and remakes them his way (read - the most complicated
way possible). Interesting but irrelevant unless you can afford his prices.

** also now voted the best restaurant in the world.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
SNIP
But Heston, whilst having 2 or 3 Michelin stars at the Fat Duck** at
Bray, has an experimental kitchen where he takes traditional items
(like Black Forest Gateau) apart and remakes them his way (read - the
most complicated way possible). Interesting but irrelevant unless you
can afford his prices.

I'm not a particularly good cook but I've tried two of his recipes and they
worked!
The Tomato soup was superb and chips made his way are, OK a lot of trouble
but taste wonderful!
The whole point was to show you how to make spectacular food with what you
have at home.
That is if you have a heavy duty blowtorch, a spraygun and vacuum bags.
I'm going to make his steak for Christmas. - takes 24hrs to cook!

Slatts

Old 05-12-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

congokid wrote:
In article , Anne Chambers
writes
Martin wrote:
Digging Deep, Rick Stein's food heroes, Heston Blumenthal almost sets
alight to the Fat Duck's car park whilst trying to make crispy succulent
chicken.

The mind boggles - have come across Rick Stein on TV (and switched
channels hurriedly) but Heston Blumenthal (AFAIK) has failed to reach
Antipodean TV - should I be grateful ?

Have a look here and decide...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=heston_blumenthal

Cannot be watched outside the UK

--
Anne Chambers, South Australia
Old 05-12-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Sla#s" wrote after Bob Hobden wrote:
SNIP
But Heston, whilst having 2 or 3 Michelin stars at the Fat Duck** at
Bray, has an experimental kitchen where he takes traditional items
(like Black Forest Gateau) apart and remakes them his way (read - the
most complicated way possible). Interesting but irrelevant unless you
can afford his prices.

I'm not a particularly good cook but I've tried two of his recipes and
they worked!
The Tomato soup was superb and chips made his way are, OK a lot of trouble
but taste wonderful!
The whole point was to show you how to make spectacular food with what you
have at home.
That is if you have a heavy duty blowtorch, a spraygun and vacuum bags.
I'm going to make his steak for Christmas. - takes 24hrs to cook!

I have a vision of all the cooks visiting Machine Mart instead of Scott and
Sergeant. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

congokid of none wrote:

In article , Anne Chambers
writes
Martin wrote:
Digging Deep, Rick Stein's food heroes, Heston Blumenthal almost sets
alight to the Fat Duck's car park whilst trying to make crispy succulent
chicken.

The mind boggles - have come across Rick Stein on TV (and switched
channels hurriedly) but Heston Blumenthal (AFAIK) has failed to reach
Antipodean TV - should I be grateful ?

Have a look here and decide...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=heston_blumenthal

Veering wildly off all topics, how on earth do the BBC come up with More
like this to suggest Simon Schama's Power of Art and The Culture Show, which
have absolutely nothing in common with Heston Blumenthal?
--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.
Steph Peters, Manchester, England
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 18:32:59 -0000, "Sla#s"
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
SNIP
But Heston, whilst having 2 or 3 Michelin stars at the Fat Duck** at
Bray, has an experimental kitchen where he takes traditional items
(like Black Forest Gateau) apart and remakes them his way (read - the
most complicated way possible). Interesting but irrelevant unless you
can afford his prices.

I'm not a particularly good cook but I've tried two of his recipes and they
worked!
The Tomato soup was superb and chips made his way are, OK a lot of trouble
but taste wonderful!
The whole point was to show you how to make spectacular food with what you
have at home.
That is if you have a heavy duty blowtorch, a spraygun and vacuum bags.
I'm going to make his steak for Christmas. - takes 24hrs to cook!

Slatts

I enjoy watching him. I don't/can't/won't cook, but I find his
programmes entertaining, imaginative and refreshingly different to any
of the other cookery programmes, which I wouldn't give a second
glance. He almost makes me want to take up cooking (I did say
'almost', just in case SWMBO reads this).

--
Chris

Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:00:05 +1030, Anne Chambers
wrote:

but Heston Blumenthal (AFAIK) has failed to reach
Antipodean TV - should I be grateful ?

not in my opinion.
interesting experimental takes on various standard dishes, makes a
change from the usual stuff.
--
Mike Reid
UK Walking - photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:52:24 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

But Heston, whilst having 2 or 3 Michelin stars at the Fat Duck** at Bray,
has an experimental kitchen where he takes traditional items (like Black
Forest Gateau) apart and remakes them his way (read - the most complicated
way possible). Interesting but irrelevant unless you can afford his prices.

surely if its interesting thats enough? The programme doesnt require
visiting his restro.
BTW He has a pub down the road from the FD.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Chambers
writes
congokid wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=heston_blumenthal

Cannot be watched outside the UK

I found a couple of (real) Heston Blumenthal clips on Youtube.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Anne Chambers wrote:

Have a look here and decide...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=heston_blumenthal

Cannot be watched outside the UK

This is probably an offence punishable by a lot of years in prison, but you
can usually bypass country checks by setting your browser to use a proxy
server situated in the relevant country. Try
http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm
for a list of UK proxy servers.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Owain" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
shame on you Anne. Across the Tasman we quite enjoyed watching Rick

Stein.
My dogs thought chalky was the real hero.

My cat used to like watching Juliet Bravo.

Much prefer Stein to the obnoxious
bloke who puts a fck into every sentence (whatever his name is).

Gordon fcking Ramsay.

ey, fing gordon fing ramsay fing. I find his cooking shows pretentious
whereas I liked Steins more down to earth approach and actually going out to
look for food and explain what makes it good. Different approaches but I
much prefer Stein. He is more akin to the River Cottage guy (who sadly
didn't showcase his dog enough) Hugh something-orother.

rob

Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Heston's cooking has about as much relevance to normal household cooking as horse riding does to modern transport, but his programmes are great fun to watch and not an F word in sight thumb