Old 06-06-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Tree - Help

VisionSet wrote:
"Sacha Hubbard" spouted in message

[...]
IMO, pollarded trees are an abortion when done for urban convenience.
Rant over!

IMO pollarding is essential in any managed environment for the health of the
tree and the species that make use of it.

In the words of the tennis player, you can NOT be serious. So why say
it?

--
Mike.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 14:23:08 +0100, VisionSet wrote
(in article ):

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...

it's about working WITH nature. Certainly that is what we
try to do here

Certainly?
Not healthy to come across as 'I am xyz newsgroup'.
In fact you really shouldn't spout shit like that.
URG is by the people for the people and you and the regulars are not URG.

--
Mike W

Is that 'shit' supposed to get a round of applause? 'Here' is here, where we
live. How on earth do you work with nature in the garden of a newsgroup?
Good grief! Lucky old urg - another prat to be ignored.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

[...]

Okay, just thought you were coming across as if you speak for everyone.
And you started it in the Ivy thread!

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's like people who live in
towns and dream of moving to the countryside. When they do, they complain
that the farms smell of cows or pigs and that the lane is covered in pats

or
that there's no street-lighting. Bah!

Not all people who move from town to countryside complain.

Please don't generalise.

Some country people are better people than some townspeople. Some
townspeople are better than some country people. It is not true to say
that all country people are hardworking, environmentally aware, etc, etc
whereas all town people are ignorant of country life and ignorant of
nature and the environment.
--
Kay
Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Since gardening is about taming nature, there is nothing wrong with

cutting
it down. However, a Birch *is* a fantastic tree and responds well to
pollarding.

Er, no, it's one of the trees that responds very badly to pollarding.

Young ones do respond well.
I agree, the one in the photo now having looked at it, is too large.
I'd show you mine, but usb is playing up so I can't

Chop it in the dead of winter at about 10 foot and remove all lower
branches.
It will produce a nice bushy topped tree in a couple of years.

No, it won't. Some trees will do that, but birch is not one of them.
The regrowth will be uneven, some branches dying back, others regrowing
unnaturally dense ( "witches brooms") and it will look hideous until
disease overtakes it and it dies.

The good news is, that meanwhile, the cut branches will pour sticky
sap in a stream onto the caravan.

Might make it burn better?

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Since gardening is about taming nature, there is nothing wrong with

cutting
it down. However, a Birch *is* a fantastic tree and responds well to
pollarding.

Er, no, it's one of the trees that responds very badly to pollarding.

Also it depends what you want. There's a birch near us, that the owner has
successively 'pollarded' and selectively kept primary tips. It now does a
nice artistic wiggle and droops nicely to one side, lanternesque.

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Okay, just thought you were coming across as if you speak for everyone.

So, don't you owe an apology for your rude comments made in error?

And you started it in the Ivy thread!

In the ivy thread, Sacha commented that we often see posts in urg
from people whose garden plants have been affected by weedkiller spray
drift. Which is true. That was not " Sacha speaking for everyone",
she was accurately reporting the group's experience.

I wasn't referring to that

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Since gardening is about taming nature, there is nothing wrong with

cutting
it down. However, a Birch *is* a fantastic tree and responds well

pollarding.

Er, no, it's one of the trees that responds very badly to

pollarding.

Young ones do respond well.

No, they do not. Pollard a young birch and the form will be ruined
for good.
Are you confusing pollarding with coppicing ?

Yes the 'natural' form will be ruined for good. And no.

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Since gardening is about taming nature, there is nothing wrong with

cutting
it down. However, a Birch *is* a fantastic tree and responds well

pollarding.

Er, no, it's one of the trees that responds very badly to

pollarding.

Also it depends what you want. There's a birch near us, that the owner

has
successively 'pollarded' and selectively kept primary tips.

?? Those two terms are incompatible. After pollarding, no primary
growth or leaders remain.
I still think you have mistaken the meaning of the word pollard.

Once pollarded, many new primaries are generated, from those one is
selected, in the case I mentioned.

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:08:11 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

It's like people who live in
towns and dream of moving to the countryside. When they do, they complain
that the farms smell of cows or pigs and that the lane is covered in pats

or
that there's no street-lighting. Bah!

Not all people who move from town to countryside complain.

Please don't generalise.

Please do not pull me up on something I didn't do. I did not say ALL people
who live in towns etc. I said 'people'. In this very village we have had
that experience.

Some country people are better people than some townspeople. Some
townspeople are better than some country people. It is not true to say
that all country people are hardworking, environmentally aware, etc, etc
whereas all town people are ignorant of country life and ignorant of
nature and the environment.

Please don't generalise on the back of my posts.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:54:33 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Okay, just thought you were coming across as if you speak for everyone.

So, don't you owe an apology for your rude comments made in error?

And you started it in the Ivy thread!

In the ivy thread, Sacha commented that we often see posts in urg
from people whose garden plants have been affected by weedkiller spray
drift. Which is true. That was not " Sacha speaking for everyone",
she was accurately reporting the group's experience.

And that of people we know and the results of which we have seen.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-06-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 19:54:06 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
[...]

Whoops!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-06-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:08:35 +0100, VisionSet wrote
(in article ):

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Since gardening is about taming nature, there is nothing wrong with

cutting
it down. However, a Birch *is* a fantastic tree and responds well to
pollarding.

Er, no, it's one of the trees that responds very badly to pollarding.

Young ones do respond well.
I agree, the one in the photo now having looked at it, is too large.

But you gave advice of a very decided and apparently knowledgeable nature.
And now you say that that the one in question is too large. The very one you
advised the OP to pollard. You are irresponsible with your advice, IMO.

I'd show you mine, but usb is playing up so I can't

Amazing.

snip

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-06-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt...08e4e4f46fd5a7

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"VisionSet" wrote in message

[...]

Any branch leading off the trunk of a tree is a primary branch.
Branches off that are secondary branches.

That has nothing to do with primary growth or leaders.

Using a primary branch as the primary growth of a tree - rather
than the trunk will simply produce a crooked tree.

Which would render the whole exercise rather pointless.

There is no primary growth on leaders in either pollarded or
coppiced wood. All the new primary branches develop in unison
either from the foot of the trunk or around 6ft up, and are
harvested once they reach the required size. And the whole
process starts over.

michael adams

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Tallow Tree was Peach Tree & Crepe Murtle Questions God Bless Texas Texas 5 24-06-2003 06:32 PM
Tree Expert - Can you identify this tree M Thomas Lawns 4 10-06-2003 03:09 AM
Free tree from Austin EnergyCity tree trimming gary Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM