Old 14-06-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Working with or Controlling Nature?

I don't think there's a square inch of the British Isles that isn't
'managed' to some degree.

Just like the 'control' over this newsgroup?

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 14-06-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

In message m, VX
writes
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:59:20 +0100, tom&barbara wrote
(in message .com):

I leave quite a few ' weeds' to grow in my garden because I see them as
just wild flowers. Don't know the name of some of them but one is the
creeping buttercup. I have another yellow flowering wild plant and a
tall pink one, also some huge daisies. Anyway isn't a weed anything
which is growing where you don't want it too?

So long as it flowers it is pretty safe in my garden Rupert :-) I am
just madly in love with nature full stop.

Gail :-)

I'm pulling out a lot of weeds now and some of them might actually be nice
things to let grow- if only I knew which ones they were. For example I'm
pulling out a lot of clover lately and I have it in the back of my mind
somewhere that it is a fairly benign plant. Could be wrong about that though.

What would be really useful is a book or web page that informs about wild
flowers and -most importantly- shows which ones would be tame enough to keep.
I don't suppose there is such a book or web site in existence....?

A book that is well worth looking at is 'How to make a wildlife garden'
by Chris Baines and the wild plant identification sites I tend to use
http://www.reticule.co.uk/flora/ - an excellent Q&A type database and
for photographs the thumbnails section of http://www.ukwildflowers.com/

--
Robert
Old 15-06-2006, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Robert contains these words:

In message m, VX
writes

What would be really useful is a book or web page that informs about wild
flowers

There are loads; try any bookshop. I like Collins Guide.

and -most importantly- shows which ones would be tame enough to keep.
I don't suppose there is such a book or web site in existence....?

A book that is well worth looking at is 'How to make a wildlife garden'
by Chris Baines

Yes, and there are a fair number of other "wildgarden" books, some of
them very beautifully illustrated with hand painting.. Most libraries
will have both kinds of book in stock. For some extraordinary reason,
there are usually a fair number of them on sale second hand in charity
shops too.

Controlling Thrips bk Orchids 5 14-05-2003 06:08 PM
Controlling bugs with odors? Sounds promising.. ncstockguy North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
controlling marauding blackbirds? John Savage Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Controlling DIY CO2 Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 04-04-2003 12:56 AM
Controlling bugs with odors? Sounds promising.. ncstockguy North Carolina 0 06-03-2003 04:51 AM