Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 PM
bk

Default Controlling Thrips

I'm told that I have thrips. It doesn't effect every orchid in my
collection, but all effected are vandas. I have been told to use Safers Soap
and others have said Orthene. Any suggestions here? The effected plants are
not currently blooming, do I spray them now? Do I spray the entire
collection or jsut the effected ones or ones in the area of infection?

Even with this going on, I have two vandas that have always bloomed just
once a year. This year one has bloomed twice and other is putting out it's
third spike now.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Try alcohol. If the thrips are in the flower, and the infestation is not
heavy, you can use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol and just touch the
buggers.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:45 PM
bk

I don't see the bugs, but have had flowers deformed or not even open.
I was wondering if I sprayed, am I to spray my entire collection and with
what and how often ?
news

Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Doris

I have heard that you make a spray out of 2 Tsp. soap to a gallon of water
spray the heck out of the plants, but not the roots, repeat every 7 days for
3 weeks.
Doris

Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

There are lots of variations on that natural remedy. I still like some
alcohol in the mix, though. And, thrips can be hard to see with the naked
eye. To see if you have them, use a magnifying glass, looking especially at
the flowers and buds. They look like thin black worms. Very small, very
thin, have a way of twisting when they move.

For more on natural remedies, go to

http://www.firstrays.com

Old 14-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim S

buy a small can of metered fly spray
and give the plant a couple of mists a day till the thirps are all gone

here is a link to what I am talking about

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page770.html

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/P401.html

this is a natural pyrethrum mix it comes from the chrysanthemum flower

here are some more

http://www.altgarden.com/site/pestco...cs/purge3.html

http://www.veatchchemical.com/itm00046.htm
http://www.gtghydroponics.com/store/...escription.htm

you all might find some good resorces on this page

http://www.bugsout.com/flies.html