Old 15-06-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Default soluble lawn feed

I recently fed my lawn with a soluble lawn feed that said to put half a
sachet in a watering can with 2 gallons of water and spread over 20 sq
meters. Things did not go perfectly.

First off, this seems to be a very light covering, so it was difficult
to move quickly enough to avoid exhausting the 2 gallons well before
covering 20 sq meters. I had hoped to go over the area twice, in
perpendicular directions, to get even coverage, but that just wouldn't
work. I only managed to go in one direction.

The end result was that I have a fairly striped lawn now of alternating
yellowish and lush greenish lawn. My guess is that the yellowish got
very little feed (it looks pretty much like it did before the feed,
though admittedly it's hard to know). But could it have gotten too much
and be slightly burned? How can I tell the difference?

I was thinking of mixing a more dilute batch and going back over the
yellowish stripes.

What should I do to avoid this problem next time? More dilute? Invest
in a spray attachment for the hose? Switch to a dry feed like Growmore?
Old 15-06-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rob Barrett wrote:
What should I do to avoid this problem next time?

By not using chemicals?!

I'm sorry .... couldn't help myself.

Old 15-06-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

"Rob Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

I always use a dry feed, weedkiller, moss killer in one of those sprinkler
containers.

Works a treat.

Old 16-06-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Rob Barrett wrote:
[...]

If your watering can is delivering more than 2 gallons per 20sq metres than
you should try sealing some of the holes up on the rose, try insulation
tape.
Also have you measured your lawn? - is it 20sq metres?

Old 16-06-2006, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

[...]

Either as you suggested, 1/2 the strength and double back over the lawn area
or switch to a good organic dry fertiliser. Better still, water with a
liquid fertiliser when the ground is moist as that will help the fertiliser
soak in.

rob

Old 16-06-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

George.com wrote:
"Rob Barrett" wrote in message
I recently fed my lawn with a soluble lawn feed
...snip...
What should I do to avoid this problem next time? More dilute? Invest
in a spray attachment for the hose? Switch to a dry feed like Growmore?

Either as you suggested, 1/2 the strength and double back over the lawn area
or switch to a good organic dry fertiliser. Better still, water with a
liquid fertiliser when the ground is moist as that will help the fertiliser
soak in.

Thanks for the tips -- any suggestions on what constitutes "a good
organic dry fertiliser"?

Rob
Old 16-06-2006, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

George.com wrote:
"Rob Barrett" wrote in message
I recently fed my lawn with a soluble lawn feed
...snip...
What should I do to avoid this problem next time? More dilute? Invest
in a spray attachment for the hose? Switch to a dry feed like Growmore?

Either as you suggested, 1/2 the strength and double back over the lawn
area
or switch to a good organic dry fertiliser. Better still, water with a
liquid fertiliser when the ground is moist as that will help the
fertiliser
soak in.

Thanks for the tips -- any suggestions on what constitutes "a good organic
dry fertiliser"?

Rob

Blood, fish and bonemeal is a balanced organic fertiliser which is used as
an alternative to "Growmore" . The former is a slower release fertiliser.
Pelleted chicken manure can be powdered and used as a high nitrogen feed for
lawns.

Old 16-06-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

George.com wrote:
[...]

Both of those I use although I don't powder the dried poop fertiliser. I am
also experimenting with used coffee grounds, a 3-1-2 mix so use 2-3 times
the amount of pelletised poop fertiliser.

rob

Old 16-06-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

George.com wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote...
Blood, fish and bonemeal is a balanced organic fertiliser which is used as
an alternative to "Growmore" . The former is a slower release fertiliser.
Pelleted chicken manure can be powdered and used as a high nitrogen feed
for lawns.

Both of those I use although I don't powder the dried poop fertiliser. I am
also experimenting with used coffee grounds, a 3-1-2 mix so use 2-3 times
the amount of pelletised poop fertiliser.

What about hoof & horn meal? I shouldn't think it would be very
attractive on the lawn, though..
Old 16-06-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote...
Blood, fish and bonemeal is a balanced organic fertiliser which is used

as
an alternative to "Growmore" . The former is a slower release

fertiliser.
Pelleted chicken manure can be powdered and used as a high nitrogen

feed
for lawns.

Both of those I use although I don't powder the dried poop fertiliser. I

am
also experimenting with used coffee grounds, a 3-1-2 mix so use 2-3

times
the amount of pelletised poop fertiliser.

What about hoof & horn meal? I shouldn't think it would be very
attractive on the lawn, though..

high in nitrogen (12%) so will give the grass a sustained nitrogen hit, low
in phosphorous (1%) and no potassium. Will likely green up a dull lawn but
lacks other nutrients. Blood and bone or seaweed looks better.

rob

rob

Old 16-06-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

[...]

Yes. See below.

What should I do to avoid this problem next time? More dilute? Invest
in a spray attachment for the hose?

Not necessary IMO.

Switch to a dry feed like Growmore?

Application of dry fertiliser can be just as problematical IMO.

Your only problem is that you're unable to accurately measure
out the quantities you need, because nowadays the instructions are
often dumbed down, so as to get people to waste more.

a) weight a full sachet. That will give you the application rate
per sq. metre.

Say for argument's sake, it comes to 40grms.

That gives an application rate of 1 grm per sq metre.

b) Measure your lawn.

Say it comes to 60 sq metres. That means it requires 60 grms
of fertiliser.

c) Next fill up your watering can with water and fit your standard rose.
Take your time, and applying the water evenly see how many watering
cans it takes to water the lawn. You should be able to measure this
within half a watering can. (Ideally you should be measuring it
in liquid measure - litres or gallons but anyway, The reference to
gallons in the instructions is a total red herring IMO).

d) Say it takes one and a half watering cans worth to water the lawn.
So put 40 grms in the first can and water it in. Marking where you stop.
(Or use two watering cans) Then half fill the watering can again and
put 20grms in that, to complete the job.

Or use a double dilution, and water the lawn twice. Once up and down.
The second time from side to side.

Then seal any open sachet with two strips of parcel brown tape
on either side.

You'll need to be able measure accurately in any case, with any liquid
feed you make up yourself from powder.

michael adams

Old 17-06-2006, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:06:41 +0100, Rob Barrett
wrote:

I recently fed my lawn with a soluble lawn feed that said to put half a
sachet in a watering can with 2 gallons of water and spread over 20 sq
meters. Things did not go perfectly.

First off, this seems to be a very light covering, so it was difficult
to move quickly enough to avoid exhausting the 2 gallons well before
covering 20 sq meters. I had hoped to go over the area twice, in
perpendicular directions, to get even coverage, but that just wouldn't
work. I only managed to go in one direction.

I would say 2 gallons over 20 sq meters is very easy to achieve ?? do
not forget that there is a big difference between 4.5m x 4.5m and 20m
x 20m work it out. Maybe thats the problem.

The end result was that I have a fairly striped lawn now of alternating
yellowish and lush greenish lawn. My guess is that the yellowish got
very little feed (it looks pretty much like it did before the feed,
though admittedly it's hard to know). But could it have gotten too much
and be slightly burned? How can I tell the difference?

I always apply going with the stripes of the lawn mower, and use the
edges of the cut as a guide.

I was thinking of mixing a more dilute batch and going back over the
yellowish stripes.

If you use a diluted batch, you will get closer, but some will be
between green and yellow.

What should I do to avoid this problem next time? More dilute? Invest
in a spray attachment for the hose? Switch to a dry feed like Growmore?

Read the instructions, you will still get the same effect with dry, if
you do not apply correctly. Even with using a dry mix push along
spinner contraption, you still get problems when cornering and a lump
sticks in the outlet. Or you walk to slow or to fast.