Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 AM
JohnB

Default Where to buy microscope for Koi

Having just recovered from a nasty parasite attack with my fish, I am
interested in buying a suitable microscope to assist in early diagnosis. It
is a long trek to my nearest koi shop with a bagged up fish so a sample can
be taken when there may be nothing to check.

Can anyone in the UK recommend a type & source for a suitable microscope at
reasonable price? Mail order or within 50 miles or so of
Sheffield/Chesterfield area would be ideal.

JB

Old 13-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Bigjon

Recently, JohnB uttered:

Having just recovered from a nasty parasite attack with my fish, I am
interested in buying a suitable microscope to assist in early diagnosis. It
is a long trek to my nearest koi shop with a bagged up fish so a sample can
be taken when there may be nothing to check.

Can anyone in the UK recommend a type & source for a suitable microscope at
reasonable price? Mail order or within 50 miles or so of
Sheffield/Chesterfield area would be ideal.

JB

Try Toys-r-us.
80X - 300X Microscopes from £29.99 for a quick solution...
They are optically precise, but of a low manufacturing quality - good for
hobbyists but useless for serious lab work.
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's all on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 13-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Bill

First of all don't go to Toys r us these people sell TOYS not microscopes of
any reasonable quality, try "Brunel Microscopes" you will find them on the
web. They have second-hand ones which should be OK for seeing parasites etc.

BUT REMEMBER WITH MICROSCOPES YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Old 13-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Charlie

I have to disagree, you can see parasites etc (as long as they are not too
tiny) under a "toy" microscope. They're just more likely to fall apart in a
few years. If you want to get a scientific microscope, fine, but be
prepared to pay hundreds to thousands of pounds! Many schools use the cheap
microscopes for lower-school science, I can vouch that they're really not
that bad.

Charlie.

JohnB wrote in message
Having just recovered from a nasty parasite attack with my fish, I am
interested in buying a suitable microscope to assist in early diagnosis.

It
is a long trek to my nearest koi shop with a bagged up fish so a sample

can
be taken when there may be nothing to check.

Can anyone in the UK recommend a type & source for a suitable microscope

at
reasonable price? Mail order or within 50 miles or so of
Sheffield/Chesterfield area would be ideal.

JB

---