Old 17-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered User

Default Hedge advice for noobie please

After sorting out my back garden, I am now looking to add some greenery to my front garden. Unfortunately, I have some restrictions and would therefore like some advice.

My garden is totally bricked over to allow off street parking. To one side of my garden is a wall approximately 4ft X 4ft.

I would like to add a hedge to to the wall to provide the above mentioned greenery and also privacy. The limitation I mentioned earlier is that I am unable to dig up the garden, although I believe I would be able to remove a few bricks.

Any advice as to possible solutions would be gratefully received.
Old 17-06-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Greeno writes:

| My garden is totally bricked over to allow off street parking. To one
| side of my garden is a wall approximately 4ft X 4ft.
|
| I would like to add a hedge to to the wall to provide the above
| mentioned greenery and also privacy. The limitation I mentioned earlier
| is that I am unable to dig up the garden, although I believe I would be
| able to remove a few bricks.

Don't even think of a hedge - think of a climber that can be trained
up the wall and/or supports. There are a fair number that will do OK
with a gap into the soil of only 9" square and an area to climb of
only 6'x4'. It depends on the aspect and soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information Nick.

Will visit a local nursery and ask them about recomendations about which climbers they think would be best for the type of soil.

Much obliged.

Greeno