Old 21-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat(h)
I read about this fellow RJ Harris, head gardener at Tressilian Estate
in Cornwall this week end. He apparently planted, fed, and harvested
fruit and veg depending on the moon phase, and claimed this had a
substantial effect on the success of the operation. Now, I know the
lunar cycle has a substantial effect on nature (tides immediately
spring to mind). But should it be taken into account when gardening ?
I found his book he
http://www.moongardening.cwc.net/BOOK%20cv.htm
What do the experienced resident gardeners here think? Is there
something in this, or is it just airy fairy bunkum? Do any of you
practice gardening by the moon, and would you recommend it?

Cat(h)
Has this anything to do with 'Moon Gardening' ??

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lit...34.jpg&.src=ph
Old 21-06-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Gardening by the moon

Sacha wrote:
And personally, I swear by arnica for
bruises.

Do you use it as an homeopathic treatment, or do you use ointment? I'm
asking because I've been using the homeopathic treatment on us and kids
for years but when I was a kid my grand mother used to have an ointment
which smelt devine. I bought one in Boots very excited but it smelt of
nothing near it. The one my grand mother had was really thick and ocra
in colour.

Old 21-06-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/6/06 16:04, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
And personally, I swear by arnica for
bruises.

Do you use it as an homeopathic treatment, or do you use ointment? I'm
asking because I've been using the homeopathic treatment on us and kids
for years but when I was a kid my grand mother used to have an ointment
which smelt devine. I bought one in Boots very excited but it smelt of
nothing near it. The one my grand mother had was really thick and ocra
in colour.

Are you thinking of Baume de Pyrenée which I use for burns and sunburn but
which is used for various other things, too? I don't have my tube at hand
but IIRC, it's made in Switzerland and is made from herbs. My Italian
mother outlaw put me onto it over thirty years ago and I used to buy it at
the French pharmacy in Jersey. Now, I just have to get it whenever we go to
France or a French friend visits us. As far as Arnica is concerned, I use
the tablets for immediate 'first aid', then in lower doses for 48 hours and
the cream ongoing, as it were. I'm no expert in homeopathy but I do find
that one works well. Some years ago a very heavy candelabra with all sorts
of sticky out bits on it toppled over on the carpet and onto that soft bit
of the foot just below my ankle and hurt like 'fun'. I couldn't speak for
the pain but the person with me ran for the Arnica tablets and cream. I
didn't have one bruise.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-06-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
Are you thinking of Baume de Pyrenée which I use for burns and sunburn but
which is used for various other things, too?

I don't know but I'm going to look into it. I will have to wait until
August as I'm not back until then. Thank you. If you happen to come
across the ingredients of the tube you've got I'll be interested to see
if arnica is in there or not.

Old 21-06-2006, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/6/06 20:02, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Are you thinking of Baume de Pyrenée which I use for burns and sunburn but
which is used for various other things, too?

I don't know but I'm going to look into it. I will have to wait until
August as I'm not back until then. Thank you. If you happen to come
across the ingredients of the tube you've got I'll be interested to see
if arnica is in there or not.

Indications et mode d'emploi: Crevasses, (splits in the skin) gercures,
(chapped skin) engelures (chilblains) , erythemes solaires (Erythema)
En friction legere deux fois par jour. (Rub on gently twice a day)
Brulures, (burns, scalds) engelures ouvertes (weeping or open chilblains).
Etendre une couche epaisse sur une gaze et appligquer ( spread a thick
coating on a gauze and apply it). Ne pas utiliser de facon continue et a
eviter chez les sujets allergiques. (I think this means don't use it
continuously and avoid those who are allergic)

It is describd as Protecteur de l'epiderme. cicatrisant, antiseptique,
analgesique. (scarred skin, antiseptic, analgesic)

Baume du Perou 4.95g. Cire jaune 28.05g, (beeswax)
Excipient huileux q.s.p. 100g. Visa 07220. Laboratoires Plantes det
Medecines 46000 Cahors (so I was quite wrong about the Swiss idea, though
that still remains somewhere in my mind)
Tube de 30g.

Baume de Perou is Myroxylon pereirae.
http://www.herbalremedies.com/balsam-information.html

I'm afraid I haven't bothered to hunt around my keyboard for the correct
accents to use in the French spelling.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-06-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
Baume du Perou 4.95g. Cire jaune 28.05g, (beeswax)
Excipient huileux q.s.p. 100g. Visa 07220. Laboratoires Plantes det
Medecines 46000 Cahors (so I was quite wrong about the Swiss idea, though
that still remains somewhere in my mind)
Tube de 30g.
Baume de Perou is Myroxylon pereirae.
http://www.herbalremedies.com/balsam-information.html

Cahors! Lovely place. Thank you Sacha. It reminds me of our 8 Hour
Cream. No arnica in there though.

I'm afraid I haven't bothered to hunt around my keyboard for the correct
accents to use in the French spelling.

Not to worry, I don't often bother either )

Blue moon - blue moon.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 0 31-05-2010 02:08 AM
Galaxy Gardening More Than Hobby for Future Moon, Mars Residents [email protected] Gardening 0 06-10-2006 05:26 PM
Moon phases Ireneu Castillo Bonsai 1 22-01-2004 03:08 AM
Moon Star Watermelon Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 4 09-07-2003 10:44 PM
[IBC] Full Moon = Slow List John NJ Bonsai 3 20-03-2003 05:56 PM