Old 20-06-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mook

Default Creeping Thistle

I have been trying to keep on top of this b***ger by digging out as
much of the root as possible. But the deep tap root is so brittle its
nigh on impossible to get it out without it breaking. And it just
keeps on spreading.

Up until now I have been gardening organically (4 years in this garden)
- but I'm considering using weed killer.

Any advice on how to deal with this one?

Carpet Mulch? Weedkiller (what brand I have no idea?) Other
suggestions?

Old 21-06-2006, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Mook" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been trying to keep on top of this b***ger by digging out as
much of the root as possible. But the deep tap root is so brittle its
nigh on impossible to get it out without it breaking. And it just
keeps on spreading.

Up until now I have been gardening organically (4 years in this garden)
- but I'm considering using weed killer.

Any advice on how to deal with this one?

Carpet Mulch? Weedkiller (what brand I have no idea?) Other
suggestions?

something you could try, and I can't guarantee whether successful or not,
that was passed on to me by a farmer. Cut the stem but leave a couple inchs
on above ground level. If the stem is hollow tip a reasonable (you have to
be the judge of how much that is) amount of hit water down the stem and
leave it. He claimed success through rotting out the root system.

rob

can thistle be a 3X summer crop?? Cirsium arvense Thistle seed to solve Global Warming [email protected] Plant Science 0 13-07-2006 08:46 PM
I have a prickly thistle stuck up my bottom! Ian Pallfreeman United Kingdom 0 08-12-2004 02:21 PM
Canada thistle EBG Gardening 5 05-05-2004 07:02 AM
seasonal borders/10ft thistle! Niall Smyth United Kingdom 3 20-09-2003 09:03 PM
Echinops (Globe Thistle) Mark B United Kingdom 4 07-09-2003 07:32 PM