Old 20-06-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

Default Homemade Compost full of woodlice: ok 2 use in pots?

Hi, don't know anything about gardening but have been growing some tomatoes
and am just sticking them into larger pots, have some compost in a bag but
not enough but got a composter last year which I thought I'd top them up
with - but it's full of woodlice, is this okay, or will they damage the
plants? the stuff I'm digging out is full of them, TIA

Old 20-06-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Easynews

"sam" wrote in message
Hi, don't know anything about gardening but have been growing some
tomatoes and am just sticking them into larger pots, have some compost in
a bag but not enough but got a composter last year which I thought I'd top
them up with - but it's full of woodlice, is this okay, or will they
damage the plants? the stuff I'm digging out is full of them, TIA

Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil, shouldn't
do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the compost
and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will depart.
Paul D.

Old 20-06-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Easynews" writes:

| Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil, shouldn't
| do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the compost
| and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will depart.

Yup. I have lots :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Easynews" writes:

| Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil,
shouldn't
| do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the
compost
| and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will depart.

Yup. I have lots :-)

I don't have enough for my hens :-(

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-06-2006, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Easynews" wrote in message
m...

"sam" wrote in message
Hi, don't know anything about gardening but have been growing some
tomatoes and am just sticking them into larger pots, have some compost

in
a bag but not enough but got a composter last year which I thought I'd

top
them up with - but it's full of woodlice, is this okay, or will they
damage the plants? the stuff I'm digging out is full of them, TIA

Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil,

shouldn't
do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the

compost
and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will depart.
Paul D.

and they (along with other beetles) also apparently help move beneficial
bacteria around compost piles. Very beneficial around compost.

rob

Old 21-06-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil,
| shouldn't
| do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the
| compost
| and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will depart.
| Paul D.
|
| and they (along with other beetles) also apparently help move beneficial
| bacteria around compost piles. Very beneficial around compost.

Obligatory pedantry: they aren't beetles; they aren't even insects in
the modern sense; they are crustaceans.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-06-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"George.com" writes:

| Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil,
| shouldn't
| do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the
| compost
| and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will

depart.
| Paul D.
|
| and they (along with other beetles) also apparently help move

beneficial
| bacteria around compost piles. Very beneficial around compost.

Obligatory pedantry: they aren't beetles; they aren't even insects in
the modern sense; they are crustaceans.

thank you for your pedantic correction of my honest naivety. I was actually
searching for the term arthropods.

rob

Old 23-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"George.com" writes:

| Woodlice generally eat dead leaves and plant material in the soil,
| shouldn't
| do any harm but an easy way to get rid of them is to spread out the
| compost
| and leave it dry out / get warmed by the sun. The woodlice will

depart.
| Paul D.
|
| and they (along with other beetles) also apparently help move

beneficial
| bacteria around compost piles. Very beneficial around compost.

Obligatory pedantry: they aren't beetles; they aren't even insects in
the modern sense; they are crustaceans.

thank you for your pedantic correction of my honest naivety. I was
actually
searching for the term arthropods.

Good man; let us know when you find it.

Des

rob

Old 27-06-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article , Des Higgins
writes
Good man; let us know when you find it.

I think its down the back of the sofa, along with India

--
regards andyw

How can you re-use compost if you don't have a compost heap? BlackThumb Gardening 8 26-05-2012 01:12 PM
Woodlice in Pots les United Kingdom 32 09-05-2004 03:09 PM
Homemade compost to build up lawn level? Michael Brewer United Kingdom 21 18-03-2004 01:25 PM
Homemade compost to build up lawn level? Michael Brewer United Kingdom 0 15-03-2004 01:40 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM