Old 21-06-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tahiri

Default Old weedkiller

My late father hoarded things. In his shed we have found a gallon jar of
liquid which appears to be a packet of 'Pathclear' diluted ready for use. It
must be several years old (at least) but does not appear to have evaporated
much. Even if it was still any good at all by now, I can't foresee my mother
having a use for it. Disposal with lots of water down a drain was suggested,
which sounds like the sort of reasonable option which is probably illegal
now. Does anyone know, or have any suggestions? ( I don't think 'that should
make a good bomb' was serious but its probably the wrong chemical anyway, I
hope.)
T.

Old 22-06-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tahiri wrote:
My late father hoarded things. In his shed we have found a gallon jar of
liquid which appears to be a packet of 'Pathclear' diluted ready for use. It
must be several years old (at least) but does not appear to have evaporated

It is probably not very effective any more, but you could still use it
on paths to get rid of it. Don't use it anywhere that really matters
though. It may not be what it says on the label.

(more of a problem if it claims to be a lawn weedkiller but is in fact
pathclear)

It might still kill some weeds but it will have lost potency by
hydrolysis in a dilute solution.

much. Even if it was still any good at all by now, I can't foresee my mother
having a use for it. Disposal with lots of water down a drain was suggested,
which sounds like the sort of reasonable option which is probably illegal

It is a bad idea to dispose of any garden chemicals down the drains as
you can cause a lot of trouble at the sewage works if you kill off the
bacteria in settlement tanks (though usually only a problem with
industrial users).

now. Does anyone know, or have any suggestions?

Local council tip should have an unwanted chemicals disposal box.

Regards,
Martin Brown

[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Grass Killer (weedkiller) welshman United Kingdom 3 29-04-2003 08:33 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM