Old 22-06-2006, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default Duck weed

Hi
It sounds like duckweed, this will become a nuisance and take over a pond
very quickly, However it does have its benefits, It will take excess
nutrients out of the water and stop the pond from turning green, "Green
water becomes short of oxygen, as I understand it" but it keeps the water
much clearer, if you net it out be careful about tadpoles, and leave any
surplus on the edge of the pond for any aquatic creatures such as fresh
water shrips to climb back in.
Check over each net to return any tadpoles to the pond

Regards
Cineman

wrote in message
Hello,

As I said in another post, I've moved house and there is a pond in the
garden. The pond seems to be full of weed (and tadpoles - but that's a
different post). I think it is duck weed? It looks like tiny
single-leaved plants that float on the surface of the water. I think
this spreads manically. Should I remove it all before it covers every
inch? Is the best way to do this with a net, or do I have to resort to
chemical means? Will it cause problems by starving the other plants or
blocking the light into the water?

Thanks.

Old 22-06-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

As said previously, the duckweed will absorb nutrients.
The nutrients therefore cause the weed to thrive.
Cut down the nutrients and the weed will not be so vigorous.
Since there are more nutrients in tap water (!) than in rain water,
don't use tap water to top the pond up. If the pond needs constant
topping up - find out why.

--
ned

.uk...

wrote in message
Hello,

As I said in another post, I've moved house and there is a pond in

the
garden. The pond seems to be full of weed (and tadpoles - but

that's a
different post). I think it is duck weed? It looks like tiny
single-leaved plants that float on the surface of the water. I

think
this spreads manically. Should I remove it all before it covers

every
inch? Is the best way to do this with a net, or do I have to

resort to
chemical means? Will it cause problems by starving the other

plants or
blocking the light into the water?

Thanks.

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 02:22 AM
My Duck Weed Farm BenignVanilla Ponds 1 03-07-2003 04:08 AM
Duck weed. Anna Vaca Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Duck Weed Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:08 AM