Old 22-06-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tony

Default Pond snails

Keep the snails, they wont harm plants or fish. They will keep algae
growth down and eat away at any weed attached to the liner etc

wrote:
Hello,

My last pond question! Our pond is full of snails. I think that snails
can reproduce on their own, which is why there are so many. Should I
live and let live or do I need to have a snail cull? Presumably they
will not leave the water and are not a threat to the rest of the
garden?

Thanks.

Old 22-06-2006, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fenwoman

Broadback wrote in message

Perhaps not strictly legal, I don't know. But if you have a natural pond
near you collect a bucket of water then tip it into yours. chances are
you will soon have some water snails, and maybe other things. ;-)

Other things like harmful diseases which will kill off your fish?
For attractive snails try ebay. They are cheap and get sent through the
post successfully.

Old 22-06-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message , Broadback
writes

Perhaps not strictly legal, I don't know. But if you have a natural
pond near you collect a bucket of water then tip it into yours. chances
are you will soon have some water snails, and maybe other things. ;-)

That's the conventional advice for getting a pond ecology going, and
it's perfectly legal, though if the donor pond is on private land it'd
be polite to ask permission.

--
Sue ]