Old 26-06-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default tomato photos

dear all

i would appreciate some advice

I was wondering about the condition of my tomatoes
its my first time attempting to grow them

please see link below
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i70/fourmations/

toamtoes1:
shows my plants, there is no sign of flowering or buds
but the plants are quite big, should there be signs yet?
they are two g delights, with an F1 plum inca in the midlle
those pots are 6" pots BTW

tomatoes 2:
skin like flaws on the leaves, any thoughts?

tomatoes 3:
patches of tiny circles in a lighter green than the rest of leaf?

thanks all

4

Old 26-06-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

toamtoes1:
shows my plants, there is no sign of flowering or buds
but the plants are quite big, should there be signs yet?
they are two g delights, with an F1 plum inca in the midlle
those pots are 6" pots BTW

There should be fruit trusses from round about 3rd or 4th leaf from
bottom. Have you been by any chance doing any nipping out of any side
shoots ?? and taken them off.

tomatoes 2:
skin like flaws on the leaves, any thoughts?

Vegetable Leaf Miner on Tomato. Liriomyza munda

Damage may cover so much of the leaf that the plant is unable to
function and yields are noticeably decreased.

tomatoes 3:
patches of tiny circles in a lighter green than the rest of leaf?

Not sure but probably the same as 2

thanks all

4

Old 27-06-2006, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

"Mr Big" wrote in message

toamtoes1:
shows my plants, there is no sign of flowering or buds
but the plants are quite big, should there be signs yet?
they are two g delights, with an F1 plum inca in the midlle
those pots are 6" pots BTW

There should be fruit trusses from round about 3rd or 4th leaf from
bottom. Have you been by any chance doing any nipping out of any side
shoots ?? and taken them off.

Okay im scared now...

I have been nipping side shoots all over the place
I thought that was the idea?

I have a main stem and 4 or 5 "branches" off them with big leaves
are these not the flowering trusses?
I have stopped the plant at the top and I have pinched out
everything that has come between the branches and the main stem

I asked all about tomatoes recently on the forum and
was told I to chill out and just watch the plants
and it will all make sense (not to me obviously!!)

thanks

4

Old 27-06-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

"K" wrote in message
fourmations writes

Okay im scared now...

I have been nipping side shoots all over the place
I thought that was the idea?

I have a main stem and 4 or 5 "branches" off them with big leaves
are these not the flowering trusses?
I have stopped the plant at the top and I have pinched out
everything that has come between the branches and the main stem

I asked all about tomatoes recently on the forum and
was told I to chill out and just watch the plants
and it will all make sense (not to me obviously!!)

Chilling out and watching isn't quite the same as nipping out side
shoots without waiting to see what they develop into ;-)

There's not a lot of things in gardening that have to be done
immediately - there's usually time to watch and wait and see what
happens, and it's by far the best way of learning.
--
Kay

Thanks Kay

What the diagnosis though?
Have I pinched out the trusses?

I have mothered these from seed from Feb!
Have I scuppered any chance of a yield?

rgds

4

Old 27-06-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:02:17 +0100, "fourmations"
wrote this (or the missive
included this):

I have been nipping side shoots all over the place
I thought that was the idea?

I have a main stem and 4 or 5 "branches" off them with big leaves
are these not the flowering trusses?
I have stopped the plant at the top and I have pinched out
everything that has come between the branches and the main stem

Flowering trusses don't have leaves.

(They occasionally grow one or two at their distal end and these can
be nipped off)

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 28-06-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

From the look of the leaf in picture 1 it looks like leaf scortch
This is where a droplet of water has sat on the leaf and sunlight has
burnt the leaft - a bit like a magnifying glass. Can occur from
condensation dripping onto the leaves or when watering spash onto the
leaves.
Generally if it is a pest you see the problem on top, if you turn the
leaft over the beasty can be found underneath.
If it is a disease generally it is widespread, rather than localised.
It looks alarming to you but in relation to the size of the plant it
isn't much. If the motling does spread, you can always remove the
affected leaf and dispose of it ( not onto the compost heap)
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire