Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-06-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Henry

Default Olives grown in Devon?

Hello

I have just read an article in today's Telegraph with interest - a farm near
Honiton in Devon has planted some Olive trees and is expecting to produce
olive oil in the future.

http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/olives.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixuknews.html

As I live only a few miles away from the farm (I am near Broadclyst,
Exeter), I wondered what peoples opinions are of growing more 'exotic' fruit
trees in Britain's southern counties? Has anyone any experience of growing
fruit not commonly found here? I am aware that many plants such as oranges
can be grown as long as they are over-wintered in greenhouses, but I would
love to take advantage of our warming climate and new breeding of plants to
plant something unusual in a permanent location in the garden.

We do get frosts where I live, but rarely colder than about -4C.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,

Henry

--
Take out the spam to reply.

Olives In Containers Endangered Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 3 02-04-2005 08:08 PM
Olives - Inside Or Out For Winter? Antipodean Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 2 30-06-2004 03:08 PM
[IBC] Old Olives kevin bailey Bonsai 1 25-04-2004 10:04 AM
Olives Steve Newport sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Olives Steve Newport sci.agriculture 1 19-02-2003 11:09 PM