Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-06-2006, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default Cladrastis sinensis

Does anyone grow a Cladrastis sinensis or C. Lutea? Anyone know "sharp
intake of breath" comments about them?

We had to take down our lovely red oak last week (Kay will be appalled)
but it had been put in the wrong place some years ago and every year we
were having to prune it more and more to keep it within reason.
t was sold to us as a slower growing smaller version of the Quercus
robur - no chance!
It had suddenly found a vein of good soil under our flint and chalk and
was going like the clappers, about 15 foot higher than the house and
only 30 foot from the back door!

A tree surgeon who was lightening the hazel etc said we would have to
bite the bullet and get it out pretty soon.

We loved the shade it threw and the colours in the autumn but being
sensible we have now got a grubbed out hole and the chance to plant
anew. We have a squirrel sown oak three quarters of the way down the
garden, no about 20 - 30 foot high so decided we could let this one go.
However - the question is, what to put in it's place?

Don't want anything too dense but dappled shade and to se the bottom of
the garden through the branches would be nice.

Reading the John Cushnie excellent book on trees I came across the
Cladrastis either the chines yellowwood (sinensis) or the American one
which has yellow flowers(lutea)
Most of the trees I liked had the ominous phrase "dislikes alkaline
soil" which is a bit of a blow really !

Our soil if verging on the alkaline as most does in the Chilterns though
not too alkaline, but the soil is heavy and flint and clay. It will be
in full sun and we have about 25 foot all round it for it to be a
specimen tree. However it is at the end of the patio etc about 30 foot
from the house.

Don't mind growing one and then moving house before it's too big to
leave!

Would like a deciduous tree, and already have rowan, mulberry (chopped
down to stump - regrown every year) hazel, hawthorn, oak, silver birch.

Idea please? NOT the horrid bright yellow-leaved gledista, it must look
like a tree, i.e. be green.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

Miscanthus sinensis Zebrina Chris Hogg United Kingdom 3 17-06-2005 05:48 AM
Is Camellia Sinensis frost hardy in the UK ?? gray bale United Kingdom 6 10-06-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria sinensis Trader Gardening 4 14-05-2003 07:20 PM
Sinocalicanthus sinensis Linda Australia 2 27-03-2003 09:08 PM
Where can I buy 'Camellia Sinensis' plants from in UK ?? gray United Kingdom 1 06-01-2003 08:57 PM