Old 08-06-2003, 12:56 PM
gray bale

Default Is Camellia Sinensis frost hardy in the UK ??

Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
David Hill

Is it just me?
All I am getting is a blank page, so is it all in the header?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-06-2003, 09:32 PM
gray bale

Yes I think the header explains it all.

But is there an answer to the question ??

Ive scoured the internet and cannot find an answer.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:20 PM
David Hill

There has supposedly been a small plantation established in the West
Country; I think Cornwall. with the aim of producing Tea.
It defiantly is not as hardy as most camellias, I had several a few years
ago and lost them over their first winter, though I must admit I should have
moved them into much larger pots, and kept them drier.
I was under the impression that Tea didn't like temp much below 50f and much
above 70f which is why it is grown in Higher regions. Rainfall of around 30
to 40 inches spread evenly across the year.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-06-2003, 11:20 AM
JennyC

"David Hill" wrote in message
Is it just me?
All I am getting is a blank page, so is it all in the header?
David Hill

Here we have somebody trying to save download time :~))
Jenny

Old 10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Is it just me?
All I am getting is a blank page, so is it all in the header?

Here we have somebody trying to save download time :~))

Maybe he'd prefer us to reply in thread headers, to save him the
trouble of opening them :-)

Janet.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

Jennifer Trehane's book says it grows outdoors in sheltered gardens in
the south of England. In China it gets cold but dry winters, so likes
good drainage and good air circulation. FWIW (which isn't much in the
UK) the Americans rate it's hardiness as zone 6 - 8, but they have a
continental climate.

--
Chris