Old 27-06-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default bird feeding

wrote in message
Hello,

We put some seeds out for the birds. I don't know whether this is a
good idea or not. On one hand, hopefully if they eat the seed, they
won't eat my plants! On the other hand, it might draw more birds to
the garden to eat my berries! What do you think?

Anyway, they've eaten two feeders full of seeds already. So my
question is, where can I buy seed in bulk and cheap?

I get mine from the local racing pigeon shop - he buys large sacks to make
his own smaller packs of wild bird seed but was happy to sell me a large
sack.

The problem is that the birds don't eat ALL the seed, much of it they
scatter on the ground where it germinates ...
Mary

Old 27-06-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
The problem is that the birds don't eat ALL the seed, much of it they
scatter on the ground where it germinates ...

We had that problem, especially as our bird table is above a flower bed. We
use Huskfree Advance from Haiths with good results
http://www.haiths.com/product.asp?lo...f_id=WBADVANCE

It's a bit pricier than standard seed, but saves a lot of mess.

Old 27-06-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"WRabbit" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
The problem is that the birds don't eat ALL the seed, much of it they
scatter on the ground where it germinates ...

We had that problem, especially as our bird table is above a flower bed.
We use Huskfree Advance from Haiths with good results
http://www.haiths.com/product.asp?lo...f_id=WBADVANCE

Won't it germinate without husks?

I'll have a look, thanks,

Mary

Old 28-06-2006, 02:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

Mary Fisher wrote:

Won't it germinate without husks?

I've been using it for about a year and I've not had anything germinate from
it. The one time I used something else I had major weeding to do.

The only problem I've got now is to find something tough enough to grow
under the table, the starlings etc can be a bit tough on the plants below to
pick up the scraps.

--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Old 28-06-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"WRabbit" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Won't it germinate without husks?

I've been using it for about a year and I've not had anything germinate
from it. The one time I used something else I had major weeding to do.

Hm. That sounds encouraging - although the hens tend to eat the sprouting
stuff they don't get everything. Thanks.

Mary

Old 29-06-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

The problem is that the birds don't eat ALL the seed, much of it they
scatter on the ground where it germinates ...
Mary

I find that the pheasants and pigeons hoover up all the seed on the
floor - the only problem is that they seem to be a bit over-enthusiastic
and hoover up the grass too - leaving bare patches - so I move the
feeders around on a regular basis.

--
regards andyw
Old 29-06-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
writes

The problem is that the birds don't eat ALL the seed, much of it they
scatter on the ground where it germinates ...
Mary

I find that the pheasants

We don't have those in inner city Leeds :-)

and pigeons hoover up all the seed on the floor

but I did see a rat hoovering a few weeks ago :-(

Mary

Old 29-06-2006, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

but I did see a rat hoovering a few weeks ago :-(

I'll buy that rat..does it do ironing?

It didn't stay around long enough for me to find out - I made sure of that.

Sorry ... next time I'll give it a test. Or just send it to you and you can
do the testing :-)

Mary

bird feeding Sally Thompson United Kingdom 16 05-07-2006 12:50 AM
bird feeding Ray United Kingdom 1 26-06-2006 09:50 PM
bird feeding K United Kingdom 0 26-06-2006 09:45 PM
bird feeding ned United Kingdom 0 26-06-2006 09:41 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM