Old 26-06-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nixby

Default bird feeding

I have never known a bird eat a plant. What birds are eating what plants?
They are your friends and if you encourage them into your garden they will
on
the other hand eat some of the pests.

-- points at all the wood pigeons scoffing cabbages and god knows what else
;o)

Old 26-06-2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:24:23 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message et
from Sally Thompson contains these words:

I have never known a bird eat a plant. What birds are eating what plants?

Wood pigeons or pheasants eat brassicas and salad crops; blackbirds
and starlings, and magpies, and chickens, all eat soft fruit and stone
fruit. Many birds graze grass. clover and herbage and peck flowers.

Yes, I realise I was just thinking of plants=flowers and that the OP meant
the whole plant and/or foliage, and we don't really have a problem apart from
yellow crocus.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Whitton Open Gardens weekend 1st & 2nd July; enjoy the conservation

Old 27-06-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson wrote:
I have never known a bird eat a plant. What birds are eating what plants?

Geese eat quite a lot. They can graze an area closer than a goat, and
that's quite a lot of plants. Ever wondered why Gallium is called
"Goose-Grass"

Old 27-06-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson wrote:
As for the Goose-Grass, I've always liked the name "Sticky Willy" :-)

Yes, but you are a girl and it wouldn't have the same subliminal
terrors...

Old 30-06-2006, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article et, Sally
Thompson writes
I have never known a bird eat a plant.

You must be joking! Pigeons have eaten through all my crop of calabrase,
broccoli and sprouts and I'm having to put some more plants in and
consider netting as it's really bad this year.

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-06-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article et, Sally
Thompson writes
I have never known a bird eat a plant.

You must be joking! Pigeons have eaten through all my crop of calabrase,
broccoli and sprouts and I'm having to put some more plants in and
consider netting as it's really bad this year.

It is, magpies and woodpigeons have learned to get into y small plots in
hurdle enclosures. Bean netting across the top has solved the problem, at
least temporarily.

Mary

Not to mention sparrows eating the crocus and primroses, and bullfinches
haveing all the buds on the forsythia, and I still don't know which bird
pulls all the onion sets up each year!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-06-2006, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:40:18 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote
(in article ):

In article et, Sally
Thompson writes
I have never known a bird eat a plant.

You must be joking! Pigeons have eaten through all my crop of calabrase,
broccoli and sprouts and I'm having to put some more plants in and
consider netting as it's really bad this year.

Yes, I know, I did explain in another post. I was very tired and the OP
mentioned seed feeders, so I didn't associate the problem with vegetables.
Sorry for your pigeon problems though. Perhaps you can develop a taste for
pigeon pieg

Old 30-06-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

Yes, I know, I did explain in another post. I was very tired and the OP
mentioned seed feeders, so I didn't associate the problem with vegetables.
Sorry for your pigeon problems though. Perhaps you can develop a taste
for
pigeon pieg

We love pigeon meat, Spouse wants a gun ...

Mary

Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

We love pigeon meat, Spouse wants a gun ...

Why not give him a catapult?

That's a thought! But he also wants to deal with the magpies next year which
have increased in number so that they really are a pest - to other birds'
hatchlings.

Mary

Janet.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/7/06 09:45, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

We love pigeon meat, Spouse wants a gun ...

Why not give him a catapult?

That's a thought! But he also wants to deal with the magpies next year which
have increased in number so that they really are a pest - to other birds'
hatchlings.

We were in Bristol yesterday and saw more magpies in a few hours than we see
in a week round here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We were in Bristol yesterday and saw more magpies in a few hours than we see
in a week round here.

My wishes for their welfare are not at all kind ...
Jennifer - in Bristol
Old 03-07-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We were in Bristol yesterday and saw more magpies in a few hours
than we see in a week round here.

My wishes for their welfare are not at all kind ...
Jennifer - in Bristol

The neighbours must think I'm mad(der) because whenever I see one in our
garden I'm out of the kitchen clapping my hands to chase it away.

A couple of years back we heard a really distressed sounding bird in the
front garden. It was so loud it had woken us up (about 6am). A pair of
blackbirds were frantically trying to chase a magpie away frm their nest.
Unfortunately by the time I'd got some clothes on the magpie had suceeded.
It was heartbreaking.

I don't mind sparrowhawks, I can cope with the cheek of starlings. But
there's something evil about magpies.

--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

bird feeding [email protected] United Kingdom 1 27-06-2006 09:10 PM
bird feeding Ray United Kingdom 1 26-06-2006 09:50 PM
bird feeding K United Kingdom 0 26-06-2006 09:45 PM
bird feeding ned United Kingdom 0 26-06-2006 09:41 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM