Old 27-06-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ken Ellis

Default Where to buy retail quantity of quality grass seed for overseeding.

I have a reasonable quality lawn with no ryegrass in it. I want to buy about
a kilo of seed, with a high proportion of browntop, for overseeding. The
only suppliers I have been able to find that specify and sell this sort of
seed do so for golf clubs and the like and in quantities from 10 kilos
upwards. Most retail stores either don't specify the make up of the seed or
if they do, it includes ryrgrass.

Any ideas please?

Old 27-06-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ken Ellis wrote:
I have a reasonable quality lawn with no ryegrass in it. I want to buy about
a kilo of seed, with a high proportion of browntop, for overseeding.

Most bowling greens use a mixture of about 20% fescues and 80%
browntop, so it might be worth seeking out the groundsman at your local
bowling club. I bet he'd swap half a kilo of seed for, say, 4 pints of
spitfire ale.

Old 28-06-2006, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Not sure if it helps, but.

Check out
http://www.wilko.co.uk/index.htm
as our local store sells loose (2 different mixes)

Or your local ag merchant
http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/

Old 28-06-2006, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Ken Ellis wrote:
I have a reasonable quality lawn with no ryegrass in it. I want to buy about
a kilo of seed, with a high proportion of browntop, for overseeding. The
only suppliers I have been able to find that specify and sell this sort of
seed do so for golf clubs and the like and in quantities from 10 kilos
upwards. Most retail stores either don't specify the make up of the seed or
if they do, it includes ryrgrass.

Any ideas please?

I feel quite sure that the DIY sheds like B&Q _always_ have the seed
blend specified on the packet: the named brands certainly will -- it's
sometimes listed on an adhesive label, though. And last time I was
looking at grass seed (a few years back, I admit), both B&Q and Focus
definitely had at least one mixture described explicitly as "without
ryegrass".

--
Mike.

Old 28-06-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gavin

"Ken Ellis" wrote in message
I have a reasonable quality lawn with no ryegrass in it. I want to buy

about
a kilo of seed, with a high proportion of browntop, for overseeding. The
only suppliers I have been able to find that specify and sell this sort of
seed do so for golf clubs and the like and in quantities from 10 kilos
upwards. Most retail stores either don't specify the make up of the seed

or
if they do, it includes ryrgrass.

Any ideas please?

Is this any good? I'm NOT the seller, by the way! I just happened to be on
eBay when I read your post :-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPREME-FINE-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Gavin