Old 11-01-2008, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default small quantity seed grain

I'm quite interested in experimenting with some small patches of grain,
such as rye and/or oats, but don't know where I might obtain small
enough quantities of seed. I've looked in my local Yellow Pages for corn
and seed merchants but there are no such animals. Can anyone suggest a
source (or perhaps a more appropriate newsgroup to ask in)?
Thanks

Brian Mitchell
Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jan, 01:57, Brian Mitchell wrote:
I'm quite interested in experimenting with some small patches of grain,
such as rye and/or oats, but don't know where I might obtain small
enough quantities of seed. I've looked in my local Yellow Pages for corn
and seed merchants but there are no such animals. Can anyone suggest a
source (or perhaps a more appropriate newsgroup to ask in)?
Thanks

You might try animal feed merchants. The stuff sold for feed is
probably last year's crop

http://www.agregister.co.uk/ is a searchable database of agricultural
merchants, and some of them may be prepared to send you small samples.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I'm quite interested in experimenting with some small patches of grain,
such as rye and/or oats, but don't know where I might obtain small
enough quantities of seed...

Where do you live? Knowing that will help others to point you
in the right direction, perhaps.

S W Wales, where there is next to no arable farming, but Robert Harvey's
suggestion of animal feed suppliers might prove useful if they separate
their grains. Anyway, thank you both for the link, which I'll pursue.

In the mean time:
http://www.agregister.co.uk/product-254100.html

Where to buy retail quantity of quality grass seed for overseeding. Ken Ellis United Kingdom 4 28-06-2006 02:22 PM
How to calculate the quantity of sand to need? Jean Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-01-2005 12:50 AM
Estimating quantity of top soil Broadback United Kingdom 8 29-07-2004 08:36 PM
compost quantity Jet Dove Gardening 52 09-06-2004 01:43 PM
Manure rotting quantity question Steve Harris United Kingdom 1 10-10-2003 06:32 PM