Old 30-06-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

Default Duckweed

Anyone got a way of getting rid of duckweed. I've tried overflowing the
pond, but it won't all go because it's stuck in the plants. Tried
washing the plants - still comes back because I don't get rid of it all
I suppose. Do I give in and scoop off a bowl a day to create a little
space to feed the goldfish?

John

Old 30-06-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Someone Here

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone got a way of getting rid of duckweed. I've tried overflowing the
pond, but it won't all go because it's stuck in the plants. Tried
washing the plants - still comes back because I don't get rid of it all
I suppose. Do I give in and scoop off a bowl a day to create a little
space to feed the goldfish?

Float an innertube drom a bicycle in the pond. Keeps a small space weed
free. Takes seconds to flip the few bits back out.

My fish can see the sun, and the lily has a chance to grow.
When the lily leaves are fully opened I push them out under the tube over
the duckweed.

I have a very clear pond under all that weed, with four very healthy happy
goldfish.

YMMV

Dave

Old 30-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone got a way of getting rid of duckweed. I've tried overflowing

the
pond, but it won't all go because it's stuck in the plants. Tried
washing the plants - still comes back because I don't get rid of it

all
I suppose. Do I give in and scoop off a bowl a day to create a

little
space to feed the goldfish?

Can I presume that you are 'overflowing the pond' with tap water?
If so, that will be encouraging the duckweed which will be thriving on
the nutrients.
I think you are going to have to 'neutralise' the pond water.
It is several years since I had to do this and no doubt the products
that I used will be banned or out of production by now but, have a
Google for 'pond maintenance' firms or check out your local Yellow
Pages to find current solutions.
There is hope, but no quick solutions.

--
Alan

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone got a way of getting rid of duckweed. I've tried overflowing the
pond, but it won't all go because it's stuck in the plants. Tried
washing the plants - still comes back because I don't get rid of it all
I suppose. Do I give in and scoop off a bowl a day to create a little
space to feed the goldfish?

John

I use the garden hose on low setting, fine spray, to wash the duckweed out
from among the plants and into a pile into the corner where it is easily
scooped up.
Depends on the size of your pond I suppose - if its big enough for ducks you
won't be able to do that, but won't need to either!
Definitely a bit of duckweed is beneficial - it removes nutrients and
reduces light thus discouraging blanket weed.
Lol

Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

Thanks to all.
It's a small pond, but probably has too many plants that harbour the
weed. I probably need a plant free side section to wash the weed to.
The bicycle tube is worth a try - I'll try that today.
I had a water lily but it has disappeared. Can duckweed interfere with
other plants like that?
And yes I did use tapwater - so that wasn't a good idea after all!!
Found a message group in ponds and they seem to love having duckweed,
and their goldfish eat it. Mine don't get rid of it at all!
Found some stuff on duckweed on the web, but basically it says the
chemicals kill your other plants as well!

John

Lol wrote:
ups.com...

Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John writes
Thanks to all.
It's a small pond, but probably has too many plants that harbour the
weed. I probably need a plant free side section to wash the weed to.
The bicycle tube is worth a try - I'll try that today.
I had a water lily but it has disappeared. Can duckweed interfere with
other plants like that?

IME a healthy water lily will simply lift its leaves above the duckweed.
You need to look for some other explanation for the dmise of your water
lily.

And yes I did use tapwater - so that wasn't a good idea after all!!
Found a message group in ponds and they seem to love having duckweed,
and their goldfish eat it. Mine don't get rid of it at all!
Found some stuff on duckweed on the web, but basically it says the
chemicals kill your other plants as well!

John

Lol wrote:
"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone got a way of getting rid of duckweed. I've tried overflowing the
pond, but it won't all go because it's stuck in the plants. Tried
washing the plants - still comes back because I don't get rid of it all
I suppose. Do I give in and scoop off a bowl a day to create a little
space to feed the goldfish?

John

I use the garden hose on low setting, fine spray, to wash the duckweed out
from among the plants and into a pile into the corner where it is easily
scooped up.
Depends on the size of your pond I suppose - if its big enough for ducks you
won't be able to do that, but won't need to either!
Definitely a bit of duckweed is beneficial - it removes nutrients and
reduces light thus discouraging blanket weed.
Lol

--
Kay