Old 30-06-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Disease of rose?

Has anyone found Rose Downy Mildew (Peronospora sparsa) on Rosa 'New Dawn'?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-07-2006, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
Has anyone found Rose Downy Mildew (Peronospora sparsa) on Rosa 'New

Dawn'?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Yes but its not a major sufferer.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-07-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/7/06 08:17, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Has anyone found Rose Downy Mildew (Peronospora sparsa) on Rosa 'New

Dawn'?
--

Yes but its not a major sufferer.

Thanks, Charlie. We saw it on a New Dawn rose growing in my son's Jersey
garden, on a granite wall. The gardener didn't know what it was and asked
Ray to ID it. This is a weird way to put it but other than some leaves
being affected by the mildew, the plant was extremely healthy and very
floriferous! This particular gardener is very involved with the local rose
growing society which has just had its annual Show and so he was especially
keen to find out what the problem was called. From what I've read, the
problem seems to be caused by a lack of circulating air, so maybe it's a
rose that's better grown on a trellis or free-standing support, than up a
wall.
And speaking of good roses for the sometimes inhospitable-to-healthy-roses
south west, we saw The Pilgrim and Felicia growing there with wonderfully
glossy, healthy foliage and a mass of flowers.
We also saw a 'climbing' ivy leaf Pelargonium which has now reached the
bedroom windows and is starting to branch outwards, too! To our certain
knowledge it has been in that spot at least 16 years and has been cut back
by frost once, only to survive and get climbing again. It's an absolutely
fantastic sight.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

HELP: Tomato Disease (Wilt disease?) vms North Carolina 4 18-07-2005 01:11 PM
Rose disease Ed Roses 3 14-07-2003 02:42 AM
Rose disease Ed Roses 0 13-07-2003 06:32 PM
Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Jim Webster sci.agriculture 370 01-05-2003 10:44 AM
New thread. Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Lotus sci.agriculture 1 31-12-2002 03:29 PM