Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Best way to treat a lawn that is shared with guinea pigs

Neil Jones wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
As a sometimes enthusiastic revisionist about many things, I agree it's
an interesting site; but it doesn't seem to quote very many papers, and
it certainly doesn't deny the toxicity of these plants.

There is an abvious logical flaw in what you are saying. Just because a
website says something that a lot of other websites do not say does not
mean it is wrong. It is the scientific facts that count. There actually
isn't a lot of study that has been done so the fact that ony a few papers
are quoted does nothing to undermine credibility,

I detect no logical flaw in my comments. You will note that I do not
challenge the three (I think) papers quoted on the site, which agree
with my other reading or, in the case of seed distribution, my informal
personal observation. My impression is that there's been a lot of study
over the years.

RAgwort poisoning is actually very rare, but certain people have made a big
fuss and misused statistics in a very very unethical way to mislead people.
We know it is very rare because internationally there are a set of
scientific papers that say this.
You find for example that someone has written a scientific paper in Holland
because of a poisoning incident, caused incidentally by gross stupidity,
and that it is interesting because a case hasn't been reported in years.
The French looked into it and couldn't find a case!

It's rare because farmers take the usual precautions. In fact,
poisoning by plants in general is rare. That doesn't make it unreal.

You don't want
them in hay or silage.

That is the only place they cause problems and then only if there is
sufficient.

That's broadly true, which is why I said what I said. There are
recorded cases of poisoning by fresh material, though: for an extreme
example, Forsyth in HMSO 161 reports personal observation of the whole
course of an outbreak in a flock of 140 ewes in Iraq.

[...]

Small doses will cause ZERO damage because of a whole series of biochemical
thresholds which have to be exceeded before any damage is done to the animal
at all. The compounds in Ragwort are actually non-toxic and have to be
converted before they can cause damage.

But I understand that the hepatotoxic alkaloids in ragworts do act
directly on the viscera. It's true that death results from the liver
damage after the toxins themselves are no longer present in the
affected animal, but this is neither here nor the the damage is
done.

[...]

Of course people shouldn't panic about the ragworts; but they _are_
toxic, and they aren't endangered, so getting them out is generally a
good idea, especially in fodder crops. Even if one has no susceptible
stock, I think it's reasonable to be a good neighbour to others,

[...]

As an entomologist I know there is a basic rule. ALL plants contain toxins
of one kind or another. Brassica poisonging and Onion poisoning are both
well known in livestock. Brassicas contain allyl isothiocynate and the
lethal dose of that in cattle is around 0.001% of body weight.

Which is why farmers take precautions. I think the maximum ration of
kale is about 15-20kg/day.

The environmental effects of such a law could be disastrous. People
removing bluebells and foxgloves because they believe it is demanded by
law. Imagine having to destroy all those woods full of wild garlic. Oak
trees are mildly poisonous too! We already have people believing that you
have to control ragwort by law which is not the case.

And, of course, to quote you above, "I shan't name them because I don;t
want to start another bout of hysteria"...

You'll forgive me, I hope; but it really does seem that when somebody
comes along and broadly agrees with your substantive point, it just
isn't good enough for you. You seem to want to be agreed with word for
word on the details: I'm afraid I can't oblige.

--
Mike.

Lawns & guinea pigs olyman Lawns 6 25-09-2012 02:18 AM
Grass lawn v guinea pigs...advice please vickie United Kingdom 12 14-12-2007 04:40 PM
Vegetable garden for guinea pigs (and people too!) Claire Petersky Edible Gardening 22 10-01-2005 01:56 PM
Furze pigs Essjay001 United Kingdom 27 21-05-2004 08:12 AM