Old 05-07-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Are professional gardeners supposed to take the prunings etc away ???

"Sena" wrote in message
t...
said...

Why on earth am I getting involved in a gardening group when I'm not a
gardener?

snip

You use bolt shears on your privet that makes you a gardner :-)

It makes me a one-woman demolition mob!

Ah, that answers the other question!

Mary

Old 05-07-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

And the bin colours are also designed to confuse the unwary - green
isn't for 'green' it's for landfill, black is for recycling (but no glass)
and brown is for 'green'.

It's true that they differ between councils. Our green bin is for plastic,
paper and metal, the brown (or black) one for landfill.

Glass has to be disposed of separately, they encourage home composting. Only
folk with gardens have garden waste after all ...

Mary

Old 05-07-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

But don't any of your customers want to keep it? (after shredding of
course)
I just could not garden here without mulching.

I wouldn't LET them take it. Not that I'd have them here in the first place
:-)

Mary

Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message . com
from "a.c." contains these words:

erm... technically... they produced the waste, therefore it's theirs

No, it belongs to the property owner. There's ample legal precedent;
for instance if one prunes back a neighbours intruding branches/hedge,
the prunings are his property and the person who cut them should offer
them back to their owner. The waste does not belong to the person who
did the pruning.

Janet.

I'm having a large tree felled in the near future, I want the
shreddings, have told the people giving me quotes and they have reduced
their estimates accordingly.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rock door

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 18:18:41 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message . com
from "a.c." contains these words:

erm... technically... they produced the waste, therefore it's theirs

No, it belongs to the property owner. There's ample legal precedent;
for instance if one prunes back a neighbours intruding branches/hedge,
the prunings are his property and the person who cut them should offer
them back to their owner. The waste does not belong to the person who
did the pruning.

Janet.

I'm having a large tree felled in the near future, I want the
shreddings, have told the people giving me quotes and they have reduced
their estimates accordingly.

That's logical, because you are saving them time (of
collection/loading) and cost (of disposal).

A neighbour is having a new entrance drive and garage foundations dug
out. The contractor's frontloader has dug out many 10-ton tipper trucks
of beautiful topsoil ; he was delighted to deliver a truckload of it to
us for nothing (saving him the disposal cost of every load which he has
to pay at the dump; plus the time taking it there)

Janet

Sounds very good, but you are digging yourself a hole (pun), and will
be about to get a visit from the boys in blue.

When you take waste from someone else.
First, you must be sure the law allows you to take it.
Second, make sure the person giving you the waste describes it in
writing. You must fill in and sign a transfer note. You must keep a
copy of the transfer note.

The transfer note, to be completed and signed by both persons involved
in the transfer, must include:

1-What the waste is and how much there is.
2-What sort of containers it is in.
3-The time and date the waste was transferred.
4- Where the transfer took place.
5- The names and addresses of both persons involved in the transfer.
6- Whether the person transferring the waste is the importer or the
producer of the waste.

The duty of care is a law which says that you must take all reasonable
steps to keep waste safe. If you give waste to someone else, you must
be sure they are authorised to take it and can transport, recycle or
dispose of it safely.

If you break this law, you can be fined an unlimited amount.

Most carriers of waste have to be registered with the Environment
Agency or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency. Look at the
carrier’s certificate of registration or check with the Agencies.

The main people who are exempt are charities and voluntary
organisations. Most exempt carriers need to register their
exemption with the Environment Agency or the Scottish Environment
Protection Agency. If someone tells you they are exempt, ask them why.

You can also check with the Agencies that their exemption is
registered.

Some licences are valid only for certain kinds of waste or certain
activities. Ask to see the licence. Check that it covers your kind of
waste.

Which then leads me onto the Waste management licence?

This is for anyone who deposits, recovers or disposes of controlled
waste and must not cause pollution of the environment, harm to human
health or serious detriment to local amenities. Otherwise they could
be fined and sent to prison.

Controlled waste means household, commercial or industrial waste. It
includes any waste from a house, shop, office, factory or any other
trade or business premises. It is controlled waste whether it is solid
or liquid and even if it is not hazardous or toxic.

So it sounds like somebaody is going to loose a lot of money and spend
a bit time sewing mail bags up.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

rock door wrote:
[...]

utter garbage, if I hand you a piece of paper to throw in a dustbin, do you
fill out all those forms and inform the pope, get clearance from air traffic
control etc?
....and BTW the gardener who gives Janet the topsoil has already took
responsibility for it, and he also knows that it is to be recycled
efficiently, there's not a judge in the world let alone the UK who would do
anything other than throw this the hell out of court...topsoil is not waste,
otherwise it wouldn't be sold in garden centres.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"rock door" wrote in message

A neighbour is having a new entrance drive and garage foundations dug
out. The contractor's frontloader has dug out many 10-ton tipper trucks
of beautiful topsoil ; he was delighted to deliver a truckload of it to
us for nothing (saving him the disposal cost of every load which he has
to pay at the dump; plus the time taking it there)

Janet

Sounds very good, but you are digging yourself a hole (pun), and will
be about to get a visit from the boys in blue.

Oh for goodness' sake!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rock door

utter garbage, if I hand you a piece of paper to throw in a dustbin, do you
fill out all those forms and inform the pope, get clearance from air traffic
control etc?
...and BTW the gardener who gives Janet the topsoil has already took
responsibility for it, and he also knows that it is to be recycled
efficiently,

analogy - A person who goes to help an injured person in a road
accident, all good intentions, etc etc. Only to find out later that
the person has sufered back injuries, and is going to sue you.
The responsibility is with the owner of the rubbish, the
transportation company, and the would be new owner of the rubbish.

How do you know that the soil has not been part of an old chemical
works, etc etc in the distant past. Whose responsibility is it then.
What about new residents to the property, who find the soil is
contaminated.

there's not a judge in the world let alone the UK who would do
anything other than throw this the hell out of court...

Unfortuneatly the law is the law. Why is it people have been £1000 for
putting the incorrect rubbish in the there recyling bins. Have you
ever hired a skip, as you then have to fill in a 'transfer' form. If
what you put down on the form is 'mixed waste', you will be charged
more, than just buiders rubble.

topsoil is not waste,
otherwise it wouldn't be sold in garden centres.

What planet are you on saying top soil is not waste. Where does
compost come from, where do bark chippings come from, where do these
pieces of furniture come from made from bits of wood offcuts all stuck
together. These are all sold at garden centres.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

How do you know that the soil has not been part of an old chemical
works, etc etc in the distant past. Whose responsibility is it then.
What about new residents to the property, who find the soil is
contaminated.

'distant past'?

The above scenario could well be applied to where my daughter lived in
Staffordshire Leave.
Cheadle on the B5417 and as you drop into Oakamoor, there is a lovely little
village, Copper coloured Church with it's little graveyard, big white house
next door with a long extension to one side, little lane opposite with a
Public House/Resturant and a little row of quaint cottages backing onto the
River Churnet which winds its way through a lovely park, designated a Picnic
Area. Back onto the B5417 and over a lovely stone bridge over the River
Churnet, mind the bend in it if there is anything else coming :-)) and
there's another pub and a shop and more quiant cottages.

Opposite the white house is a concrete viewing platform so you can see the
children playing and people picnicking and there in the middle of the park,
amongst the trees are a couple of big gateway pillars. Gateway to a large
house at some time or other?

Take five minutes to read the link.
http://www.nestaffsregen-oakamoor.org.uk/background.htm

Unless you knew, you would never know. 'distant past'? The 60's are not that
distant!!!

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 07-07-2006, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

The above scenario could well be applied to where my daughter lived in
Staffordshire.

Sorry, that should be

Leave Cheadle on the B5417 and as you drop into Oakamoor,

:-((

Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

rock door wrote:
[...]

Excuse me but I hire skips as part of my job on a weekly basis and in
different locations of the UK, never, ever have I been asked to fill in a
form, sign a form or even seen any kind of transfer note.

what you put down on the form is 'mixed waste', you will be charged
more, than just buiders rubble.

I think you are getting mixed up here from bits of conversations you may
have over heard....the price of a skip is for mixed waste - if you tell the
skip company that it's going to be clean topsoil or clean hardcore then he
may reduce the price of the skip or even take it away free of charge, this
is because he sells the hardcore or the topsoil, all skip companies do this
and I've never heard of any of them going to jail for it, especially since
they advertise the fact.

topsoil is not waste,
otherwise it wouldn't be sold in garden centres.

What planet are you on saying top soil is not waste. Where does
compost come from, where do bark chippings come from, where do these
pieces of furniture come from made from bits of wood offcuts all stuck
together. These are all sold at garden centres.

You are taking the letter of the law to extremes with all this 'transference
of waste' garbage, the laws were introduced to encourage recycling and
prevent hazardous waste being dumped all over the place, not to prevent next
door neighbours giving soil away....and anyway, the easiest way around it is
for someone (in this case Janet) simply saying that she purchased the soil
for 1p per tonne, then it's not waste at all, it's a comodity, just the same
as if I sold my neighbour 30 used paving slabs

Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c.

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message . com
from "a.c." contains these words:

erm... technically... they produced the waste, therefore it's theirs

No, it belongs to the property owner. There's ample legal precedent;
for instance if one prunes back a neighbours intruding branches/hedge,
the prunings are his property and the person who cut them should offer
them back to their owner. The waste does not belong to the person who
did the pruning.

Janet.

True, in that sense, but logic does not always walk the same path as
regulations.
That said, by "...therfore its theirs" does wrongly imply ownership as
opposed to responsibility.
When I was a professional gardener (as in; got money for gardening) I
went about the whole process of looking into the matter and was
informed that the commercial aspect meant that I was responsible for
the rubbish.
I can't recall the analogy, but it would be like as if I cut your
hedge, use the clippings to create chemicals (on site),use the good
ones for your garden but dump the toxix ones near you boundary line on
the basis that their yours.
Yes, I know, a daft comparison with hedge clipping, simply because of
the commercial aspect, but there you have it.
Of course, as can be seen on the responses, not everywhere is the
same., e.g. I used to face a minimum charge of £25... even if all I
had was a regular bin bag full.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry