Old 25-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Helen Hartley

Default should I compost apple prunings?

We have recently moved into a new house which has a few apple trees in the
garden.

The apple trees do not appear to have been pruned for the last few years, so
we have pruned them. We have been left with quite a pile of prunings and
are thinking about shredding them, before composting and using as a mulch.

If we do shred and then compost the apple tree prunings, then use as a
mulch, is this likely to encourage apple tree pests and diseases?

If so how far away from the apple trees should we use the wood chips?

OR

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Many thanks for any help.

Helen

Old 25-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Sacha

On 25/1/05 14:51, in article , "Helen
Hartley" wrote:

We have recently moved into a new house which has a few apple trees in the
garden.

The apple trees do not appear to have been pruned for the last few years, so
we have pruned them. We have been left with quite a pile of prunings and
are thinking about shredding them, before composting and using as a mulch.

If we do shred and then compost the apple tree prunings, then use as a
mulch, is this likely to encourage apple tree pests and diseases?

Don't do any of the above, burn them on your fire. The scent is absolutely
lovely! Or use them for barbecues next summer.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Robert

:
: The apple trees do not appear to have been pruned for the last few years,
so
: we have pruned them. We have been left with quite a pile of prunings and
: are thinking about shredding them, before composting and using as a mulch.
:
: If we do shred and then compost the apple tree prunings, then use as a
: mulch, is this likely to encourage apple tree pests and diseases?
:
: If so how far away from the apple trees should we use the wood chips?
:
: OR
:
: Am I worrying unnecessarily?
:
: Many thanks for any help.
:
: Helen

If they are composted in a compost heap that has generated sufficient heat,
it shouldn't matter where you use it provided there is no disease on the
tree

Old 25-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 25/1/05 14:51, in article ,

"Helen
Hartley" wrote:

[...]
If we do shred and then compost the apple tree prunings, then use

as
a mulch, is this likely to encourage apple tree pests and

diseases?

Don't do any of the above, burn them on your fire. The scent is
absolutely lovely! Or use them for barbecues next summer.

I've never found the smell pleasant, myself: not my only
eccentricity. But I do hope Helen left the trees alone for a couple
of years before pruning them: you need to know their habits before
you apply the secateurs.

Mike.

Old 25-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Robert wrote:

If they are composted in a compost heap that has generated sufficient heat,
it shouldn't matter where you use it provided there is no disease on the
tree

I compost mine on a cold heap, and the tree had fungus. There are very
few diseases that will transfer through a compost heap, and effectively
none from prunings. Almost the only ones that will are soil-borne ones
with resistant spores, like white rot of alliums - but, with most of
those, you either have them in your soil or you don't, so it doesn't
make any difference whether you put them in the compost!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Robert

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Robert wrote:
:
: If they are composted in a compost heap that has generated sufficient
heat,
: it shouldn't matter where you use it provided there is no disease on the
: tree
:
: I compost mine on a cold heap, and the tree had fungus. There are very
: few diseases that will transfer through a compost heap, and effectively
: none from prunings. Almost the only ones that will are soil-borne ones
: with resistant spores, like white rot of alliums - but, with most of
: those, you either have them in your soil or you don't, so it doesn't
: make any difference whether you put them in the compost!
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

ok thanks for that

Old 26-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Helen Hartley

: Robert wrote:
:
: If they are composted in a compost heap that has generated sufficient
heat,
: it shouldn't matter where you use it provided there is no disease on
the
: tree
:
: I compost mine on a cold heap, and the tree had fungus. There are very
: few diseases that will transfer through a compost heap, and effectively
: none from prunings. Almost the only ones that will are soil-borne ones
: with resistant spores, like white rot of alliums - but, with most of
: those, you either have them in your soil or you don't, so it doesn't
: make any difference whether you put them in the compost!

Many thanks everyone for your messages, very helpful.

We did not leave the trees very long but have only pruned 2 out of the five
and not pruned them too hard. This year after cropping we will decide
whether or not it is a good idea to prune the others in the same way. They
are very mature trees, easily more than 20 years (at a guess).

We will save a few chippings for BBQ in the summer...good idea thanks.

And it sounds like composting will be fine, so we will compost the rest.

Thanks again.

Helen

Old 26-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Sacha

On 26/1/05 16:22, in article , "Helen
Hartley" wrote:

snip We did not leave the trees very long but have only pruned 2 out of the

five
and not pruned them too hard. This year after cropping we will decide
whether or not it is a good idea to prune the others in the same way. They
are very mature trees, easily more than 20 years (at a guess).

snip

Some years ago I was told that old apple trees should be pruned slowly, i.e.
a bit this year, a bit next year and so on. Mind you, this was in relation
to one of mine that was thought to be about 80 years old.
Others here may know better, or may know why. I I don't remember the reason
but I imagine it's something to do with a shock to the system! But on that
basis, it sounds as if what you've done is just right.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk