Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john cabb

Default Are professional gardeners supposed to take the prunings etc away ???

Or are they supposed to stuff it into my green wheelie bin ??

I am being told that they cannot take it away as they are not
registered carriers of waste, and they are charged to dump commerical
waste (even thou its domestic).

What am I too do.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon

john cabb wrote:
Or are they supposed to stuff it into my green wheelie bin ??

I am being told that they cannot take it away as they are not
registered carriers of waste, and they are charged to dump commerical
waste (even thou its domestic).

What am I too do.

I suppose it's based on how much they charge in the first place.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Why on earth am I getting involved in a gardening group when I'm not a
gardener?

snip

You use bolt shears on your privet that makes you a gardner :-)

kate

Old 04-07-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

john cabb wrote:
Or are they supposed to stuff it into my green wheelie bin ??

That depends on whether they priced for removal of said waste, if they told
you verbally or in writing that they would not be taking it away then it's
your responsibility.

I am being told that they cannot take it away as they are not
registered carriers of waste, and they are charged to dump commerical
waste (even thou its domestic).

Yes, they are charged for dumping it, although this should have been added
to the price of the work....if you bag it up and take it in the car, you
will not be charged

What am I too do.

Have you tried getting a grip? - it's garden prunings not nuclear waste.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
john cabb wrote:
Or are they supposed to stuff it into my green wheelie bin ??

That depends on whether they priced for removal of said waste, if they

told
you verbally or in writing that they would not be taking it away then it's
your responsibility.

I am being told that they cannot take it away as they are not
registered carriers of waste, and they are charged to dump commerical
waste (even thou its domestic).

Yes, they are charged for dumping it, although this should have been added
to the price of the work....if you bag it up and take it in the car, you
will not be charged

What am I too do.

Have you tried getting a grip? - it's garden prunings not nuclear waste.

The last thing you want is for it to go! get them to shred it and leave it
on site, you could even say you would take any other shreddings they may
have from other customers, get it composted if you don't want it straight on
the ground. be a huge asset to your garden and cut down on the number of
times you need the gardeners
Doing the shredding will not be a problem as you are already paying for
their time :~) If it is a problem they are not professional gardeners.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c.

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
john cabb wrote:
[...]

erm... technically... they produced the waste, therefore it's theirs
and furthermore the onus was on them (professionally speaking and not
legal) to clarify what they intend to do with the green waste prior to
landing you in it , sort to speak.
That said, if you had knowingly accepted a quote which you had an
inkling was a tad on the cheap side... well now you know why (-;
Yes, they would be charged and the paperwork itself is a pain in the A.
They would also have to go to the dump site. All of which you pay for
in the end.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm a professional gardener. If I do a job where there is going to be a
lot of waste, say cutting a hedge, I charge to take the waste
away....which I promptly do by taking it to the local tip, enter
through the commercial bit, get weighed, drive through the green waste
section, empty the van, come back, get weighed and pay. Even though
I've had a van full of conifer clippings, it's never more than £10
(but have to charge more for the time taken to tip it). It's easy. I
did think it would be costly, but it's really very, very cheap.

For maintenance jobs, I can usually depend on there being a green bin.
If the council objects to this, it's ridiculous. Just because I'm being
paid to cut the grass doesn't mean it's better or worse than the
customer cutting it and putting it in the same bin! Or sometimes, I
just bag up the waste, keep it until I get a few bags and go to the tip
with some other green waste. It's only ever a few quid, so I don't mind
paying that from time to time.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

wrote
I'm a professional gardener. If I do a job where there is going to be a
lot of waste, say cutting a hedge, I charge to take the waste
away

snip
For maintenance jobs, I can usually depend on there being a green bin.
If the council objects to this, it's ridiculous. Just because I'm being
paid to cut the grass doesn't mean it's better or worse than the
customer cutting it and putting it in the same bin!

Contractors couldn't depend on it everywhere as not all councils will
provide a garden waste collection without extra charge. Ours doesn't.
They don't allow any garden waste in the main (landfill) bin - the
householder has to pay extra to have a separate bin for garden waste if
they want it taken away.

And the bin colours are also designed to confuse the unwary - green
isn't for 'green' it's for landfill, black is for recycling (but no
glass) and brown is for 'green'.

--
Sue

Old 05-07-2006, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

said...

"Sena" wrote in message
said...
Or are they supposed to stuff it into my green wheelie bin ??

I am being told that they cannot take it away as they are not
registered carriers of waste, and they are charged to dump commerical
waste (even thou its domestic).

What am I too do.

Why on earth am I getting involved in a gardening group when I'm not a
gardener?

Anyway, your gardeners are probably telling the truth. They need a
licence to dump waste (it classes as commercial) and they are charged
per load or by weight that they dump. Garden waste should never be put
on a landfill site, so where are they supposed to take it? The local
council may well recycle garden waste, but commercial recycling is very
rarely free to the user (ask any school or small business if they can
recycle their paper free of charge - they'll probably say no) so the
payment problem crops up again. If your green wheelie bin is used for
recycling why shouldn't the waste be put therein?

Because garden waste isn't classed as a recyclable (paper, metal, plastic).
We're encouraged to compost it.

I'm pretty sure we can recycle ours, in the natty placcy bags provided
by ye council. They presumably have a contract somewhere or other for
shredding stuff and generally making it useful for - goodness knows
what.

But yes, commercial waste disposal is very expensive.

And unfortunately that's what it is if it's done professionally.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

But don't any of your customers want to keep it? (after shredding of course)
I just could not garden here without mulching.