Old 10-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered User

Question oak barrel

I bought a half oak barrel from the garden center which was used to store port..I hope to fill it from rain barrels we have in the next heavy rain..Do I have to do anything to it before filling so that fish will not be affected?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OhNo

Default oak barrel

--
solaara

pass it to the left..............

Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

OhNo wrote:
"solaara" wrote in message

I bought a half oak barrel from the garden center which was used to
store port..I hope to fill it from rain barrels we have in the next
heavy rain..Do I have to do anything to it before filling so that fish
will not be affected?

--
solaara

pass it to the left..............

Unless I'm on the right. On the question, I can't imagine that any
alcohol detectable by anything short of gas chromatography will be left
in the wood by now. A bit of sugar, maybe, but I doubt if that would be
in harmful concentration. If Solaara (should be Solera, perhaps) is
worried, then filling the tub and letting it stand for a few days, then
tipping out and refilling should set her mind at rest.

--
Mike.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OhNo

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

OhNo wrote:
"solaara" wrote in message

I bought a half oak barrel from the garden center which was used to
store port..I hope to fill it from rain barrels we have in the next
heavy rain..Do I have to do anything to it before filling so that fish
will not be affected?

--
solaara

pass it to the left..............

Unless I'm on the right. On the question, I can't imagine that any
alcohol detectable by anything short of gas chromatography will be left
in the wood by now. A bit of sugar, maybe, but I doubt if that would be
in harmful concentration. If Solaara (should be Solera, perhaps) is
worried, then filling the tub and letting it stand for a few days, then
tipping out and refilling should set her mind at rest.

--
Mike.

Port is NEVER passed to the right.........so you would not get any.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

OhNo wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

OhNo wrote:

[...]
pass it to the left..............

Unless I'm on the right. [...]

Port is NEVER passed to the right.........so you would not get any.

You envisage a formal table as, under certain circumstances, a
monocheiral spatial anomaly in which left goes on ad infinitum in a
linear fashion without ever getting back to me? This is pure genius.
You have solved a multiple problem in cosmology which has been nagging
me for years, ever since a Bump Supper at which various hitherto
unexplained phenomena occurred. What, for example, happened to my left
shoe? How did so many black ties, clearly without the intervention of
human agency, levitate to the flagpole? Who _was_ that woman? Or was it
a goat? Above all, why was the following day Monday rather than, as is
generally predictable in 4-space, Sunday?

Your Nobel Prize is in the post.

--
MIke.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

solaara wrote:
I bought a half oak barrel from the garden center which was used to
store port..I hope to fill it from rain barrels we have in the next
heavy rain..Do I have to do anything to it before filling so that fish
will not be affected?

Having bought it from a garden centre, are you perfectly sure it hasn't been
treated at all??
I don't know how big this barrel is, but it probably won't be big enough to
support many fish. In this hot weather, the water will soon be bereft of
oxygen. If you must do this, then just two small goldfish, and see how you
go.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 13-07-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

OhNo wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

OhNo wrote:

[...]
pass it to the left..............

Unless I'm on the right. [...]

Port is NEVER passed to the right.........so you would not get any.

You envisage a formal table as, under certain circumstances, a
monocheiral spatial anomaly in which left goes on ad infinitum in a
linear fashion without ever getting back to me? This is pure genius.
You have solved a multiple problem in cosmology which has been nagging
me for years, ever since a Bump Supper at which various hitherto
unexplained phenomena occurred. What, for example, happened to my left
shoe? How did so many black ties, clearly without the intervention of
human agency, levitate to the flagpole? Who _was_ that woman? Or was it
a goat? Above all, why was the following day Monday rather than, as is
generally predictable in 4-space, Sunday?

That sounds more like something harder than port ... :-)

Mary

Old 14-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyPete
solaara wrote:
I bought a half oak barrel from the garden center which was used to
store port..I hope to fill it from rain barrels we have in the next
heavy rain..Do I have to do anything to it before filling so that fish
will not be affected?

Having bought it from a garden centre, are you perfectly sure it hasn't been
treated at all??
I don't know how big this barrel is, but it probably won't be big enough to
support many fish. In this hot weather, the water will soon be bereft of
oxygen. If you must do this, then just two small goldfish, and see how you
go.
--
ßôyþëtë

The barrel is 90cm wide and 54cm deep....
Old 17-07-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Stockdale

"solaara" wrote in message

The barrel is 90cm wide and 54cm deep....

--
solaara

The half barrel is probably no longer waterproof (or Port proof !) and will
leak.

Why not line it with pond quality polythene to be sure that the fish do not
become drunk or more seriously, high and dry.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Oak Barrel feature rabc United Kingdom 4 07-06-2008 05:28 PM
sealant for oak barrel fountain? [email protected] Gardening 3 28-06-2005 07:58 PM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Texas 1 28-02-2003 04:26 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 04:27 AM